We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

I've been looking at some different travel companies as my fiance and I are starting to think about our honeymoon.

I would love to know how people are planning their honeymoons.

-Are you using a travel company? Or are you planning it yourself entirely?

-If you're using a travel company, are you booking your own flights or going through the company?

-I have seen negative reviews for TravelZoo, flightsandpackages.com, Travel Republic, Gate1 Travel, and Virgin Vacations. I tried to look through the forum for more company recommendations, but didn't have much luck.

We're thinking 7-10 days...in Feb, Mar, April 2013. We haven't quite narrowed it down yet: Belize, Costa Rica, Central Europe (Ukraine, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland)... We're eaters, we're slightly adventurous and we've got some Hilton points to burn.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 08:20
znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

Are you aware that the weather will likely be bad in Europe especially in Europe.

potentially as low as minus 25 in Ukraine and poland in February.

in answer to your question, i'd arrange myself and go somewhere where the sun is shining,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

For Feb-April, europe would still be cold so maybe Belize or Costa Rica would be a better option.

I "planned" my honeymoon myself but ended up booking through a travel agent since they were able to get me a better rate.

if you like planning then you can do it yourself. But some people just don't have the time to do it, and sometimes agent can get you better rates (not all the time), you just have to do your research and compare it with what the agent can get you.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

I would go in April. Purchase a Eurailpass and travel to several countries. I did. Do preplanning. Purchase a few guide books. I use: Frommers, Steves, D & K, and Lonely Planet. Each will give you a different prespective on the same destinations. Romantic destinations? Paris, and Venice. Review gotoday.com for ideas. They will make arragnements for hotel, and transportation. I used them for several of my adventures. Not a tour company. Travel independently.Happy travels!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

It's always depends on the place you are going to, there is special Companies for Honeymoon Trips, those ones can be professional based their work on the Honeymoon Trips, and for the ones you have read negative reviews about are a mixed tour Company, offering groups tours,... try to take a private Tour, booking your accommodations yourself, and note what activities your'd like to experience during your Honeymoon Trip.

In Europe i agree with felow above it will be cold still, so other destinations can fit the Bill, add Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and South Africa to your list it worth it during that Time.

Regards;

H

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

If you are going to use HHonors points than I would try and schedule this on my own. Travel Agents earn their $$ by getting approximately 10% from the hotels that they reserve. If you are not going to be paying for your hotel rooms as you are using points the travel agent really can't earn any $$. They could charge you $$ for their work but that would be in addition to the actual cost of travel.

Obviously you need to first narrow down the area that you want to visit. Tripadvisor has more information about every region than you could ever use.

Finally, remember it is really easy to get additional HHonors points by opening up a credit card or two. I just completed this process and earned 200,000 points plus was given Gold status (free breakfast).

6. Re: Travel Company - Worth the Trouble? Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:19