We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

My husband and I are planning a trip... kind of our last hurrah before thinking about having kids.

Over water bungalow is a must and we will will be coming from the states so closer is better. We really tend to prefer all inclusive if at all possible.

Which would be best; Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives? Pros/Cons?

What sort of budget should we plan?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Norristown...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

We just returned from French Polynesia, 5 night on Moorea and 5 nights in Bora Bora. It is pretty pricy - spent about 13k on round trip on air from LA on Air Tahiti Nui, 10 nights accommodations with breakfast included, and inter-island airfare on Air Tahiti. Expensive, but do worth it. We took a red eye out of LA, 8.5 hours to Tahiti, then inter island flight to Moorea. Stayed in OW bungalow at the Hilton. Beautiful resort with great snorkeling right from our deck in anout 4 feet of beautiful aqua blue water. Lots to do on Moorea: ATV tours of the interior, ray and shark feeding tours, and of course black pearl shopping, or just relaxing on our deck. There are 4 resorts on Moorea with OWBs: Hilton, Intercontental, pearl Beach, and Sofitel. Then in Bora Bora, we stayed at St Regis. Beautiful OWBs there as well. We had a mountain view villa. In BB, it's all about the beautiful lagoon, and the amazing food. The water depth was deeper in BB, about 10 feet at our deck. I could have sat on my deck all day long, just gazing at that beautiful lagoon and the many shades of blue.

IMO, I would not stay in Tahiti for any length of time, it does not have the paradise feel of the other islands in French Polynesia. I would also not get dinner included. They are so many wonderful restuarants in each island, and they pick you up at no cost.

The thing with FP is the cost of flights. There are only 2 airlines that fly into Tahiti: air France and Aur Tahiti Nui. The cost round trip is 1400 - 1600 pp. low season is from oct to may. Might be able to find deals during low season. Then inter island flight to the other islands, which could be 500-800 pp. if you go to Moorea, there is a ferry from Tahiti to Moorea that runs all day. You could fly into Tahiti, taxi over to the ferry dock - about 20 min drive, take the ferry to Moorea and stay there - eliminating the inter-island fare.

It is an expensive destination, but so worth it. It is a magical place. We celebrated our 30 wedding anniversary there and it was so magical, I came back feeling like honeymooners. I so want to go back, but might be a few years to save the money.

2. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 01:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

I haven't been to Fiji or the Maldives (on my list next) but agree with pp that you can cross Tahiti. You have to fly into Tahiti and if you want can spend 1 night there, but the real treat is Moorea and Bora Bora

Moorea is somewhat cheaper than Bora Bora, and most people do a couple nights there and then a couple nights in Bora Bora.

I went for my honeymoon and had a great time. I posted trip report here: …blogspot.com/2010/06/honeymoon-in-french-po…

Let me know if you have questions!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

Most of people Will choose Bora Bora even it's pricy than other destinations you suggested, But keep in mind that Bora Bora Really worth it.

Regards;

H

Atlantic City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

Hi! I was wondering if you ended up going on this trip and where you went. I am getting married next year and we would like to go on out honeymoon to one of these islands.

6. Re: Tahiti vs Fiji vs Bora bora vs Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:21