We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

BelAir
Level Contributor
32 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

Prefer: Caribbean or Islands south of the US East coast .

Budget : flexible $250 a day (hotel/B&B

dislikes: crowds/ noisy bars/ touristy stuff/ sitting all day on the beach

Wanted: to see and hear the ocean from our room. We are low maintenance... I want quality but in casual atmosphere (not interested in dressing up fancy for meals but good seafood food is a must ! we enjoy snorkeling /boating and making our own fun taking a picnic lunch on hike. Like meeting other people but not looking for a crowd experience.

So casual comfort in quality tropical setting.

7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

Rincon, Puerto Rico. American Airlines website. Cheap to San Juan from LAX. Lots of nice laid back resorts in Rincon, Quebradillas, Cabo Rojo. Or check www.vrbo.com for private rentals. We rented a car for 10 days and had a blast finding great places to eat and things to do. If you rent a car use avis or budget they are right at the airport. The others are a 5 or 10 minute complicated drive away from the airport transportation by shuttle, makes return a pain in the rear finding ur way back there when ur leaving. If you go check out zoo and Camuy caves both were surprisingly cool. I wanted to chill but my wife made me go and I was glad she did. No crowds and cheap. Beaches on that side of the island are not crowded either. Hope this helps.

BelAir
Level Contributor
32 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

was there places to snorkel from the beach? If you did snorkel did you bring your own stuff? we have the equipment an wanted to know if it was worth the hassle of bringing that as our carry on on the flights. I appreciate the information about which rental car company is easier to use. That should help. I had not thought of Puerto Rico. Did you feel safe traveling on your own around the island? Could you leave your stuff sitting on the beach when you went out swimming or did you lock it up in the car? Did you buy food locally for lunches? Thanks Beth

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

San Juan is where all the trouble is. Way out on the west side of the island is nice. We have been there twice and no troubles at all. Cabo Rojo is sweet for snorkeling almost no surf at all. The are all the local stores Walmart, Walgreens, malls, etc. so anything you need you can buy there and not expensive. The airlines rip you off so bad on baggage now Id just buy it there. We got our snorkeling gear at Walmart. We rented a house in Rincon so we went to the supermarket and cooked our lunches and snacks at home. There was a fantastic little bakery that had BOMB pastries, etc. for cheap in Rincon. So thats where we would go to get breakfast and coffee. Then we ate out for most dinners. There are lots of different places to eat. All have fantastic seafood, your price just adjusts for how nice the place is. A restaurant at a fancy resort is going to cost you some, but there are tons of places to eat. And most everyone speaks enough english that you'll be fine. Just make sure to buy a map and get a good navigation app for your phone or bring a GPS with current Puerto Rico maps downloaded because the locals suck at giving directions, and if its not a major place there wont be many good signs. It depends on your tolerance too, we didnt mind if we got a little lost, it was all part of the adventure, and it is so beautiful that it didnt bother us at all. Try to order a copy of Que Pasa magazine from Casiano Communications www.casaino.com that magazine will give you all the information you could want to plan a great trip. The best snorkeling I believe is east of San Juan near Fajardo and Luquillo I believe. The next time we go back we are going to stay like 3 nights here, 3 nights there, 3 nights somewhere else. So if you are up for something like that maybe fly into San Juan and stay the first couple nights in Fajardo and get your snorkeling in. Then head out to Rincon or somewhere on the west side for the rest of your stay. When I was there gas was about .89 a liter which I believe is just over $3 a gallon. Im from CA so it seemed super cheap to me. No matter what after your first trip you'll immediately want to plan your next trip because youll figure out how you could have done it better. We are excited to go back and we still havent gotten it right yet. There are so many cool things. And both trips the coolest things like the caves were something we stumbled upon and didn't even have planned. If you are not staying in San Juan, I wouldn't worry to much about safety, it is a commonwealth of the US, and it wasnt bad at all. Oh yeah one last thing, if you go to Rincon, you must stop at the Don Frappe ice cream place. Its an open air place just off the Highway 2, they have the most incredible ice cream or milkshakes you will ever taste. Coldstone and Ben & Jerry's is junk compared to this. Trust my wife on this one!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

Beth...............have a look at the CocoBay Beach Resort in Antigua............rustic ocean front cabins, gorgeous beach, laid back atmosphere....................sounds like what you want................many very positive reviews here on TA...............this is casual comfort in a quality tropical setting...........

Edited: 03 December 2012, 15:14
kathmandu
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

You are likely here either because you are engaged, or you’re hoping that your man will get on with it and propose any day now! I understand that planning a wedding can be quite overwhelming, and there are a lot of important decisions to be made in order to make your wedding day vision materialize. You can visit the site http://www.aperturevision.com/ for more information.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

Post #5...............you cannot solicit business, not advertise or promote a business on TA....your post will be reported

BelAir
Level Contributor
32 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

I appreciate the time you took to educate me. It always makes me feel better when I know what to anticipate. It has been difficult trying to bring food and beach equipment on the plane so knowing that there are affordable options on the island makes planning easier. I made notes and we will be stopping for ice cream if at all possible. Thanks for the tips! Beth

8. Re: anniversary -looking for quiet beach in Jan 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:17