We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Hi All

We are finding it difficult to find a location for our honeymoon that ticks the majority of our boxes all in one location.

Ideally we would like the following in our Honeymoon experience:

Water Villa

Sun, sea and sand

All inclusive

Swim with Dolphins

Regular Activities/ Day excursions/adventures (safari maybe?)

A hotel that will go the extra mile for honeymooners- want to feel special:)

Direct flight from Cork or Dublin (Ireland)

Scuba diving

Safe to indulge in the local cultures (outside the resort)

Our budget would be €5000 with some flexibility. Ideally we would love the honeymoon to be approx 10 days, departing on the 30th June 2014.

Just to give a background on the places that we have looked:

Orginally we were looking at Cuba as you can get the best of both worlds, the sun sea and sand and the the city life in Havana with lots of culture and things to do. As we want to go at the end of June we were advised not to go to Cuba as it is raining season at this time. We started to look at Maldives but I think my partner (Andrew) would find it boring after a couple of days. So at the moment I am looking in the Caribbean again (Bahamas, Jamica, Barbados, St. Lucia) but I was told it wasnt safe to leave the resorts in these islands. I am also looking at Thailand and Bali but the travel to get to these places seems to take a long time from Ireland and as we only have about 10 days to spoil ourselves, the quicker we get to our honeymoon resort the better:)

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Warmest Regards

Andrew and Aine

Level Contributor
297 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Well, June is part of the rainy season in much of the Caribbean, but it's often just some quick showers or storms that come and go...I've travelled in Aug which is considered one of the worst months for rain, and it's never been that bad, so you might still consider Cuba if that's where you really want to go (if you are going to Cuba, choose a 5 star hotel and check the reviews carefully on TA).

As for some of the other places you mentioned in the Caribbean: I've been to St. Lucia only for a day on a cruise, so can't really comment. As for Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados...not sure if things have changed since I was there last which was years ago, but we found Bahamas (we were in Freeport) and Barbados very safe to leave the resorts -- did lots of exploring and took local buses all over the island. You'll be more limited in your selection for all-inclusive resorts on these islands though. As for Jamaica, yes, it's a bit tougher to go explore on your own...we did a bit, but didn't feel as safe, and didn't venture too far.

Couple of other ideas:

-you could consider a Caribbean cruise to visit various islands and then spend a few extra days in whichever island the ship leaves from. Ships have honeymoon packages you can purchase which really make you feel pampered

-have you considered the Riviera Maya? Awesome selection of all-inclusives; beautiful hotels, good food, great beaches, lots of tours to choose from, can explore on your own, and your budget should go quite far.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 22:32
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

My husband and I have been to the Bahamas twice (Sandals Royal Bahamian) in Nassau. We loved it and felt very safe to take the public bus into town. We've also been to Sandals Negril and did not leave the resort for safety concerns. If I were you and St. Lucia fit into the budget I'd go there. Cancun, Mexico is also great. My husband and I felt safe taking the public bus into town and taking the ferry over to the Isla de Mujeres. We stayed at the Sun Palace there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,292 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Ah, and if you went to that part of Mexico, you would also have the opportunity to snorkel with the whale sharks during their annual migration. :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Hello Aine............................I agree with the advice you've been given by the previous posters thus far, ............my experiences in the other destinations they mention echo theirs......I've also been to all of the islands you mention, most of them numerous times (with the exception of the south pacific/Maldives) and have had no issues leaving the resorts, and would return again, with the exception of Jamaica (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril)..when in Jamaica, generally off the resorts(but once or twice while at the hotel itself),I found myself all too often solicited to by the locals(to put it mildly), and have no plans to return again........and despite hearing complaints from friends/aquaintences about the food and generally sub-par hotels/resorts in Cuba, I decided to take a chance on the island and make my own judgement.....I'm sorry to say that the stories one reads about quality/choice/lack of food/fresh vegetables, and resorts running out of beer/alchohol, a/c being turned off and other general issues have some truth to them, and have no plans to return to Cuba either...............as another poster points out, if you really intend to visit Cuba on your Honeymoon, then stay at a 5 star resort(the majority of resorts do not seem to be 5 star rated) )and be very diligent with your research...Cuba is just not for everyone's taste, especially if you're well traveled, IMO...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Have you considered somewhere in the Greek Islands?....with the exception of swimming with Dolphins(which is easily available in Mexico, as previously noted), you can find sun, sand, sea and culture/nightlife, etc in Greece.......Italy and France offer the same, as does Spain and Portugal.....I've heard that Croatia also has lovely beaches, although I've not been myself......flight durations to the points in Europe are, of course, much less time consuming, which you mention as being important to you............

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
309 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

Hello there, i've been doing some research with the direct flight situation...i just can't find any non-stop flights to Cancun, which i would recomend a lot for a honeymoon, if you try out some other Caribean places you will be finding Nassau or some other place like this with limited options to do for 10 days, i'd say...i found a hot deal in British Airways it is a flight from Dublin with a stop of 3 hours in London, from june 30th to july 11th, i found it for aprox. 1832 Euro round trip for the both of you (i say aprox since i checked it in Mexican Pesos and im not too sure about today's exchange rate to Euros), i'll make my best on getting all the "musts" for your travel :)

Sun, sea and sand - CHECK

All inclusive :

- Hotel Marina El Cid located in Puerto Morelos, checked the rate foor the Honeymoon suite with jacuzzi, it's about 2877 Euros for the whole stay, the cheapest room is for a deluxe room, about 2186 Euros.

- Ocean Coral & Turquesa in Puerto Morelos as well, junior suite ocean view 2125 Euros and garden view for 1863 Euros.

- GR Caribe by Solaris Deluxe All Inclusive Resort in Cancún, deluxe garden view 2493 Euros and ocean view for 3186 Euros.

Plenty of great resorts in there, i could give you more options if interested.

Swim with Dolphins: CHECK

Plenty of places for dolphin swimming all across Cancun and Riviera Maya, rates goes from 135 Euros for both of you.

Regular Activities/ Day excursions/adventures:

Tulum tour: great beach with some arqueological places to visit.

Rio Secreto: underground river

Xcaret: natural park with mayan night show

Scuba diving:

You could check out Cozumel island for a day or also Isla Mujeres, AWESOME scuba diving in there, Cozumel was listed by Custoe (sp?) great places to dive.

If you become insterested to this place i would be more than happy to help you to plan it :)

7. Re: Need advise on our Honeymoon destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17