We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter babymoon help!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Winter babymoon help!

My husband and I are expecting our first baby (due May 2014). We are wanting to take a "babymoon" to get away together on a big trip before the baby comes. Due to the busyness of holidays and such, it looks like January or February would be our best months to go. I would prefer somewhere international but not necessarily warm weathered (as the thought of being big and round in a bathing suit while everyone else drinks fruity tropical drinks doesn't sound too appealing). We have tossed around the idea of Quebec/Montreal or London. But, I'm hoping you might have some great ideas for us to consider.

Here is where we have been in the past: Ireland, Scotland, England (briefly - only London and York), Paris, Turkey, Greece (Athens and a couple of Greek isles), Switzerland (Zurich, Zermatt, St. Moritz), Spain (just the southern coast, close to Malaga), and many places throughout Italy. We have also been to a few Caribbean islands and Cozumel as well.

We are not opposed to our trip possibly including a place we have been to before. We're looking at a 9-10 day trip (plus or minus). I guess our concern is how much will there be to do in various cold places that time of year (ie tourist attractions closed? little to do indoors in certain areas, etc) but we definitely want to relax too!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this. I figured my fellow travel lovers on TA would be my best source. Thanks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter babymoon help!

Be adventurous. Review Chinaspree.com for suggestions. Happy travels!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter babymoon help!

I appreciate the suggestion of China. While it's a definite on our to do list, it's not really a country I want to be in if I needed a doctor for a baby issue. We had been planning Africa for next year, but that's being put off until 2015 for the same reason.

spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter babymoon help!

On January/February travel, you would be on your second trimester of pregnancy. Are you guys into nature getaway? You can travel to Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY - they offer 3 daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and you can do snowshoeing in the winter. The resort even offers Hello Baby spa treatment package - 50 minute maternity massage for soon to be moms and Eagle Cliff deep tissue massage for soon to be dads.

Others say Glasbern Inn in Fogelsville is ideal to visit for a good weekend retreat.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter babymoon help!

Would Australia or New Zealand be to far to travel?

Brad

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter babymoon help!

Annamcsilver - Yes, I will be in my second trimester. I will check those places out. Thanks!

Brad - It wouldn't be too far to travel, and it had crossed my mind. I just didn't know if 9-10 days would be long enough since getting there and coming home can take up several days of your travel time. I've had some friends say you need a minimum of 2+ weeks. Would you agree with that?

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter babymoon help!

Yeah definitely need to 2+ weeks. But in saying that if the option (if at all) is to have a total holiday time of 14 days then certainly 10 days in Australia would be great. I mean combination of rural retreats (Greater Sydney) or Far North Queensland (Port Douglas) and Sydney or Melbourne city would be a great way to relax and chill out.

Brad

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter babymoon help!

So you are willing to travel to Europe for a week? You may want to check Greek mainland then...

What about Nafplio visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Home.html or Thessaloniki http://www.thessaloniki.travel/index.php/en/ ?

8. Re: Winter babymoon help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:19