We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
$10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

My fiance and I are from Charlotte, NC and are getting married June 6. We have about 10 days for a honeymoon. We've love travel. We've both been all over Europe and Thailand. We've never been to the Caribbean but we loved a day we spent in the Dry Tortugas off the Florida Keys.

We love to swim in the ocean and would love to find a place with beautiful white sand, super-clear, turquoise waters, and nice swimming. Aside from that, we love good food but are not into nightlife or group activities. She would love to see wildlife - sea turtles, dolphins, and birds in their natural habitat. Aside from that, we would like a somewhat private place. She detests huge resorts. To summarize, these are the things we want in order:

1. Beautiful Swimming Beach

2. Abundant Wildlife

3. Good food available

4. Seclusion

I explored Bora Bora and the Overwater Bungalows look amazing there. But I think it may be just outside our price range once you figure in meals and activities. I think I have a decent budget. But I don't want to come back from our honeymoon worried that we overspent.

What is a good next option? (I have about 68,000 Starwoods points and 100,000 Marriot Points if that helps). I was looking at the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Seychelles, Philippines, etc.

I will be forever grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Grant

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

You can do the South Pacific on your budget. I would suggest you look at the Paul Gauguin Cruise. They are an upscale small (320 passenger) ship based in Tahiti. While they have several itineraries their basis is a 7 night trip, round trip, from Tahiti. You could then, either before or after, add on a few nights at the Hilton on Moorea in an overwater bungalow. PG charges about $5,000 per person but that includes air from LAX as well as transfers and a day room at the end of the trip. On the ship all is included including tips and alcohol. You would have to pay for shore excursions. Their deck 3 cabins are perfect and at about 200 square feet larger than most larger ships. Deck 3 cabins are the exact same as their balcony cabins although there is no balcony.

From the ships dock in Tahiti is is about a 100 yard walk to the ferry that takes you to/from Moorea. $30 USD round trip for the ferry.

Absolutely spectacular trip.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Hi,

it has been many years since we last went to the Caribbean but 2 place still stick out to us.

St. Kitts and swimming at Turtle beach, sorry cannot remember hotel

If we every go back to Antigua we will stay at the Copper and Lumber store.

Of the 12 islands we have visited these 2 are our favourites.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Grant..................................there is a really lovely resort on the island of Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic) that ticks all of your boxes......Dominica is in the Caribbean....this particular resort I have in mind for you is called The Secret Bay resort, and is located in Portsmouth, Dominica......it has amazing accommodation, food and secluded beaches, plus the island itself is abundant with wildlife and eco-adventures.......there are a great deal of glowing reviews here on TA to browse through to give you more information on this lovely place....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

I just checked the TA site for the resort and it states they currently have 15% off room rates......if you click on the blue link in this post for Portsmouth, Dominica you can quickly locate the TA site for the hotel, and access the reviews as well......hope you find the perfect place...

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Definitely check out Jade Mountain in St. Lucia. It has everything you are looking for except the white sand as the island is volcanic and our sand ranges from light tan to black (the beaches at Jade are black sand). The water is crystal clear and super calm, with excellent walk out snorkeling and diving. Whale and dolphin watching right off the coast also.

The resort is set on the hillside in the lush rainforest with loads of wildlife all around - birds, lizards, sheep, goats, etc. The resort is 5-star luxury with uniquie architecture - each room (sanctuary) is only 3-walls, with the 4th wlal open and looking out over a stupendous view of the iconic Pitons and ocean and sunsets. Each sancutary is huge, from 700-1500 square ft, and each has a large priavte plunge pool. The rooms are very secluded - you cannot see into anyone's room no matter how you try. Small resort - only 26 rooms I think. Total luxury with butler service, gourmet dining, huge 4-poster beds, jacuzzi bathtubs, large rainfall showers, amazing views and the pools. No TVs or internet in the rooms to distract from the luxury and relaxation. (Both available on-site, just not in the room)

Lots of activity on-site, or none at all if you prefer. Beautiful beaches, kayaking, snorkeling, diving, hiking, mountain biking all on property. Music in the evenings in the Celestial lounge, and simple, quiet luxury for relaxation.

The area provides opportunities too: volcano & mud baths, more hikes, plantation tours, waterfalls, mineral baths, ziplining, etc - however muchy you want to be out and about, or stay in and enjoy the privacy and beauty of your room and the resort.

Jade is consistently rated a top resort in the world in travel magazines, and St. Lucia consistently comes in tops for romance and beauty as a honeymoon destination. St. Lucia is a short 3 hour direct flight from Miami, and a world apart.

Worth taking a look at for sure.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Wow Eden7,

I am sold on Dominica. You appear to know so much about so many places you must of travelled an awful lot.

What is Niagara like about March/ April time?

Keith

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Completely agree with reedprincess. Jade mountain in St. Lucia is a great place to stay at. Everything has been elaborated above, and its all true. You can checkout some photos of the place. Make sure its in your budget :)

johansens.com/north-america/caribbean/st-luc…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Keith.............March and April are months of changeable weather and can still be on the cold side in the Niagara region... some of the outdoor attractions such as the "Maid of the Mist"/Hornblower Niagara boat tour will still be closed for the season, although closer to the end of April, early May they will re-open......as March/April are off-season, the hotel rates are lower though, and the area less crowded.....still people visit Niagara all year round...........

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,519 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Hi Grant, have you researched the Cook Islands which is located in the South Pacific, near Tahiti? It's an independent island nation with close affiliations to NZ - thus uses the Kiwi dollar for currency.

Air New Zealand provides a weekly direct air service from LAX into Rarotonga (arrives around dawn on Mondy Mornings). You can book an intrnational ticket through to Aitutaki island, which is the island I suggest you stay on. Check Costco for indictive fares, and accommodation packages. Return flight to LAX departs Saturday evening from Rarotonga. Air Tahiti provides a weekly air service from/to Papeete and Rarotonga (the capital).

Aitutaki is the island of romance. It's image epitomises the South Seas dream of leisure, beautiful scenery, small population, idyllic white-sand beaches, tropical ambience, and a select few boutique lodges and hotels. Due to Aitutaki having one of the nicest lagoons in the world, there are good options to get onto the water including cruises, water-taxi and charters. Tropical fish, native birdlife on Aitutaki and the islets (particularly Tropic-birds on Honeymoon island), and shorebirds wandering along the beaches and estuaries. Green turtles pass through en route to Fiji, whales are seen seasonaly migrating to/from Hawaii.

Seclusion, safety, quality restaurant food, happy people enjoying a gentle but hospitable Polynesian culture.

Choices for honeymoon accommodation include Pacific Resort Aitutaki; Etu Moana and Aitutaki Escape.

All the best for your honeymoon plans.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: $10-15k in June want quiet beach with turquoise waters

Thank you all. I am looking into the Cook Islands, St. Lucia, and Dominica. I also hope to do a Gauguin cruise at some point in the future. These are exactly the types of recommendations I was hoping for.

Much appreciated.