We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Hi all

I am planning for my honeymoon in July, probably 1 July - 16 July 2014, about a 16 days trip.

Planning to fly out from Singapore on 30 June and arrive on 1 July.

Am thinking of visiting Greece after looking at all the beautiful places it has to offer.

However, am really clueless as to what to do there, where to visit or how to go about planning for the trip.

A quick summary of what I would like to do there;

1. Spend maybe 4-5 days on one of the Islands (Preferably Santorini)

2. Spend some time at the beach

3. Spend some time exploring Athens

4. Any other suggestions or city/town recommended to visit?

Budget;

I have checked and seen that air tickets from Singapore cost around SGD$1.4k onwards

Not sure about hotels and travelling in Greece itself though.

Looking at maybe 3/4 star accommodations

Like to avoid parties, driving and rough seas

Medium budget but willing to splurge a little in Santorini (given that it's a honeymoon getaway)

Look forward to advises from all...

Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,743 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Hi Evan........welcome to the forums..................the destination forums for Greece are very active......both Athens, Greece and Santorini have their own forums, so by asking your questions on those forums you will get current information/ advice from the local experts.........have you any interest in doing a cruise of the Greek Islands...usually cruises visit Athens, and then a couple/few other islands.....this might be an option for you to persue also.....click on the blue links contained within this post to access both the travel guides/pages for Athens and Santorini and access the local forums too..............

Edited: 03 February 2014, 15:49
2. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 15:47
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Thanks for the info!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
84 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Hi EvanChoe

I was thinking Athens, where I live, it’s not a destination for more than 3-4 days. You may spend your time in Athens by visiting Acropolis and its Museum, Archeological Museum, Monastiraki, Plaka, Thisio, and the rest of the city center for shopping and sightseeing.

You may also use the public transportation (train mostly) to visit Kifisia and Glyfada for shopping and lunch.

A hotel near Syntagma square will be suitable in order to visit all the above. What Alan H suggested are nice options, however all of them are ones of the most expensive hotels in the destinations he spoke about.

By train from the Athens city center, you will quickly go right to the Piraeus port where you will leave for the islands. For Santorini, you will need about 8-9 hours with the compact ship, or 4-5 hours with the high speed boats.

Santorini is a magic island however the honeymoon story is on its front side where the “Caldera”, which are the rocks which run straight down to the sea, and the view to the sunset and the volcano, worse the visit to the island. Fira (noisy enough), Oia and Imerovigli are the three places there where you must book your hotel enjoying the above view.

On the other hand, you stated that, expect of Athens and Santorini, you also want to spent your time on beaches. The fact is that either in Athens (either if you stay at the sea side of the city as for example in Glyfada, or even if you stay in the city center and use the public transportation to go to the Athens beaches), or Santorini itself, are full of beaches, so you may have the chance to always be nearby and swim every day. But in any case note that Santorini’s beaches are not considered the most beautiful in Greece, as the islands’ rocks and the fact that a volcano is nearby, cause the beaches to have a strange beauty but to not be the “easiest” ones

What I would recommend, if the budget affords it, is to spend 3 nights max in Athens , 4-5 nights in Santorini, and the rest nights on other islands in your way from Santorini back to Piraeus (e.g Ios, Naxos, Paros, Syros).

Hope the above helps

Congrats for your wedding!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Hi Koranle

Thank you for your reply.

Has you heard of this website?

www.fantasytravelofgreece.com

They have a package for 10D9Nights (Amazing Sea-View), and covers Athens (with half day sight-seeing), Santorini and Mykonos.

What I like is that it is a package but free & easy so we have free-play of our own time.

Based on the package itinerary and cost, would it be recommended?

Thanks!

Regards

Evan

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Fantasy Travel is one of the most old established and reputable travel agents in Athens. But I think it's very easy to DIY in Greece, why to add a middle man/commission on the equation...?

7. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 13:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

Hi,

Accommodations in Greece are a bit reasonable when compared to other european countries. Santorini has some great accommodations. You can check out some good ones on http://www.johansens.com/europe/greece

I hope this helps :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
84 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

I didn't know about the fantasytravel site. The price seems to be good, however the hotels that are included in this offer are subhect for discussion:

- The one in Athens is in the heart of the city center but in a not so quite area.

- The one in Mykonos is very good and near one of the good beaches of the island. However is far from the Mykonos city where the nightlife runs (and only there!)

- The one in Santorini is in the main city (Fira) center, so we can easily take part on the nighlife, but its not in the "preferable" west side of the city with the magnificent view you see in all Santorini broshoures.

Note that in any case, the above do not mean that these hotels doesn't worth the booking. I just note down some pos and cos.

From my experience and the prices that appear on booking.com (accommodation) and on viva.gr (ferries), I would say that for July, you must consider 60-80 euros for a double room in Athens, and 100 euro for the same in Mykonos city and 60-80 for out of the city. For Santorini, if we prefer the west side with the view, then the prices start from 150 euro for a double room per night. If we book somewhere else in the island, the prices start from 40-50 euro, again for a double room per night.

Some more pricess for your info:

- Athens airport to city center by metro = 14 euro for two persons

- Athens city center to Piraeus port by metro/train = 2,40 euro for two persons

- Athens - Mykonos = 57 euro per passenger with the speedy boat, 35 euro per passenger with the compact one.

- Athens - Santorini = 57-64 euro per passenger with the speedy boat, 38-39 euro per passenger with the compact one.

- Santorini - Mykonos and vice versa = usually there is no such direct route available. You need to travel to other Cyclades islands (e.g Paros or Naxos) first.

At the end of the day what is critical for you is to decide where in the islands you want to stay, i.e near or away their main attraction (Myconos city for Myconos, and Santorini west side for Santorini).

Hope the above help

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,802 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Greece (Athens, one of the Islands...)

post # 7 - self-promo and solicitation, guys, please help.......

Get answers to your questions