We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for honeymoon

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Need suggestions for honeymoon

My husband and I were recently married but held off on our honeymoon for a few months. We were originally thinking all-inclusive in the Riviera Maya but decided against it. We're now looking in the US. We have a budget on the lower end but it's enough for a flight, a mid-grade hotel, car rental, a few nice meals. I'm pretty good at stretching a dollar.

My husband wants to be near the beach, but also near "things to do". I'm not too picky but we probably won't get a chance to travel much in the near future so I want it to be a special trip. We've thought about Monterey (option to drive up to San Francisco for a day or two), Palm Springs (option to go to LA for a day or two--but he's not keen on the idea that it's not by the beach). We've also thought about Key West, Miami, or Myrtle Beach...just not sure. If anyone has had a GREAT experience (or a not-so-great one) I would love to hear about it. Hawaii would also be amazing, but I think it's just going to max out our price range. San Diego is also a possibility, but for some reason I don't feel too excited about it. Not sure why. Disneyland/Disneyworld are off the table bc we I have two kids and we're saving up to take them in a year or two.

Sorry for the long length--I'm just trying to provide all the info to get some great suggestions. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Toronto
Level Contributor
296 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

Any particular reason you decided against Riviera Maya? It's got so many amazing hotels, good food, tons to do, beautiful beaches, and will likely end up costing less than a holiday in the US, plus with all-inclusive you know most of the costs up front.

Anyways, we've done LA and San Fran (well, together with Vegas as part of a 2 week holiday) and enjoyed ourselves. Really depends on your interests...totally different type of holiday than a week at an AI in Mexico, lol.

Miami with a cruise to the Bahamas would be nice and not too expensive, depending on the cruise line.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

Not sure about what time of year your thinking with beach weather but things to do, beach not too far away is Charleston, SC. I don't think I've heard of a single person not be completely in love with the city.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

Fly into LA rent a convertible and drive the PCH to SF stopping at the many sights along the way. Happy travels!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

Thanks everyone! We decided against Riviera Maya because we want to be able to move around a little more freely. I haven't really looked into Charleston so I will do that. I've also had a friend suggest the drive in California so that's a great option too. We're also looking at Key West where we could go up to Miami for a day or two but I'm not sure I have a great desire to see Miami. I've heard wonderful things about Key West, though. Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll let you know where we end up. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

What is your budget? What activities are most important? :)

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

Our budget is only $3000 (or less, if possible). Like I said, I'm pretty good at stretching a dollar and we'll be eating cheaply most of the time. I'd like to go to a couple of nice dinners but I'd like to spend most of our money on activities. I've been able to find some good deals for flights, hotels, and car rentals that would leave us with about $1000-$1500 spending money. I'm pretty sure I'll end up blowing the budget anyway... :/ I would love to go to Hawaii, I went there once before and fell in love. But it's just too far out of the price range. We'd like to do some activities like snorkeling, possibly diving, my husband is also really into seeing some of the historical military things. There are some shipwrecks in Key West that intrigued him, and there's the Maritime Museum (not sure of the name?) in San Diego that he thought looked cool. I'd like to do some water activities, basically, and he'd like to do some of the historical/entertainment things...not sure if this helps or makes it more confusing? Lol.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

I just looked on expedia, picking a random week in the middle of May . . .and the flights to Cancun, Miami and LA were all about the same price, Honolulu was almost double.

As a budget traveler, I have found Mexico to be the best deal BUT we don't stay at AI's. We pick smaller hotels or apartments, eat out 3 meals a day and do many activities.

I think you would find Florida & California to be about the same as far as car rentals, hotels & food pricings.

California is a beautiful state to visit - lots to see and do, and road trips are fun.

But if diving and/or snorkeling is key, I would pick Florida or Mexico - right off of Cancun is the Great Maya reef - second only to the Great barrier reef and some great opportunities for those activities. And then you also have some great snorkeling in the Florida keys . . . good luck! :)

8. Re: Need suggestions for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:17