We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

I am planning a ~2 week honeymoon for later this year... getting married mid-August, but we don't mind waiting if the weather will be better at a later time. I was originally planning on Australia, but I think we want more of a relaxing trip for a honeymoon and not so much of a go-go-go trip.

I just can't decide between these destinations! French Polynesia (Bora Bora & Moorea), Maldives, Fiji, or Seychelles.

Looking to spend about $8,000 total. Here's what we'd like:

- all inclusive, but that's not a deal breaker.. I know some places offer "half board" and "full board" and I'm not really sure what that means :)

- we have vacationed in the Caribbean at all inclusive resorts several times. I know that there probably isn't anything remotely similar to that, but we love the freedom of not having to worry about paying for a single thing once we get there. So anything somewhat similar to that would be awesome!

- good mix of a beautiful beach to relax on and fun stuff to do (snorkeling, swimming with manta rays/whale sharks/turtles/whatever, ATVing, hiking, kayaking, boating, etc)

I am sure that any of these places would be absolutely amazing once we get there, but I am just curious what others' experiences were who have been to a couple of these places and which was your favorite?! Is it possible to visit any of these places for 10-14 days with an $8000 budget?

Thanks!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

Full board is like all-inclusive in terms of meals, but usually not drinks - you'd need to check the T & C's with the venue for certain................the Four Seasons Resort in Bora Bora is gorgeous for a Honeymoon, and they have over water bungalows...............here's a link

http://www.fourseasons.com/borabora/

Edited: 03 May 2014, 13:06
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. Fiji has many islands/resorts to chose from depending on budget and what you want in a resort. Everything from large hotel chains, resorts catering to families, adults only, and private islands. Weather should be good as August/September is outside the rainy/cyclone season. Won't be overly hot or humid.

All inclusive resorts are very expensive. Some include meals in their price, others have meal plans or a la carte choices. All resorts have both complimentary activities and those at an additional charge.

With 10 to 14 days, might split your stay between a resort on the mainland, with one of the outer islands for two different experiences.

The Westin, Sheraton, Sofitel, and other resorts at Denarau are large hotel chains. Very little Fijian feel, in my opinion except for the grounds. The resorts offer some shopping, and choice of restaurants. The beach has dark sand and murky water. You can swim, but there is no snorkeling in front of the resorts. That said, you can take day trips with South Sea Cruises to experience the soft, white sand beaches, snorkeling, and crystal clear blue water Fiji is known for.

Have a look at the websites for: Tokoriki, Royal Davui, LikuLiku, with over the water bures, Matamanoa, Lomani, Qamea, and Matangi our favorite resort in Fiji. All are adults only.

The following link has pictures of last vacation to Matangi. Will give you an idea of the beach, bures, resort grounds, snorkeling, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0439-1408-d5f4…

The Warwick, Outrigger, and other resorts on the main island offer, waterfall hikes, river rafting, zip lining and other activities. Beaches better than Denarau, but not as good as the outer islands.

If interested in Fiji, suggest posting on the forum with questions about resorts you are interested in and other suggestions of where to stay.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294331-i883-Fiji.…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

We've been to the South Pacific 4 times including French Polynesia and Fiji. I don't think your budget will work for French Polynesia. Air from LAX is usually about $1200-$1500 per person. If you go to any islands other than Tahiti or Moorea (reachable via ferry) you have a $400 per person added airfare, plus of course the air to get to LAX. I would guess you would spend half ($4000) of your budget just in air. Overwater bungalows in the region, except for Tahiti and Moorea, are in the $1,000+ per night range and are not all inclusive.

You can do Fiji for your budget. E&Cinreno is the expert for Fiji. You can check out air which would be similar if not a little less than getting to Tahiti but you don't have to then have the interisland flights. Resorts in Fiji have a great range of quality and price and I am sure you can find a few that work for your budget.

4. Re: French Polynesia, Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles for honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions