We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

What's the perfect suitcase for a week's trip? I'd like it on wheels and it needs to fit in the overhead compartment. Anyone using something they love? Thanks in advance.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,803 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

Are you a Costco member? I just saw one in the Costco magazine that looked very useful.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I'm not a member but I have friends who are. I can ask them. Thanks for the tip!

Have you found a great site online for luggage?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

My old suitcase worked, but when we flew Air France 2 years ago we bought the 21" Rick Steves rolling bags. They were great and are very lightweight and durable, and not expensive. We paid about $116 for each of them. When we returned, DH used them for weekly business trips and they really can take a beating, lol.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I'll check Rick Steves' site. Thanks!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I like the looks of this:

EBags has a 21" MotherLode mini-rolling carry-on bag that looks good. Anyone ever use this?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

Another vote for the Rick Steves bag. Ours are without wheels (we have nice strong backs, for now!) but have heard a lot of people do like the wheeled-version as well. We got ours for $60/each a few years ago through JCPenney (with a coupon code). We have made at least four European trips with them and they are great!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I have the no-wheels carry on bag from EBags (Weekender Convertible) and it's fantastic. It's just like the Rick Steves bag, but not nearly as overpriced.

I do not have the wheeled model, but I would expect it to have a good build quality, based on my experiences with the backpack model.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I've been looking for some light weight luggage for my trip to Ecuador/Galapagos, so this information is very helpful. Thanks, folks! FYI-Rick Steves luggage is discounted 20% this month (April '09) on his website. Since his Convertible Carry-on at the sale price is still $10 more than the eBags version, I'd like to hear more about the durability of the one from eBags.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

I have the Ebags weekender convertible. Love it. No wheels (I got the version with wheels too but hated it so I returned it.)

This is the non-wheel version-very cheap.

ebags.com/ebags/…

Travelpro is also good. this one measures 45" so it might be a touch too big for some airlines (i know its ok for one jet blue plane but too large for the Embraer 190

ebags.com/travelpro/…

Good thing on Ebags site is that you get detailed specifications about the luggage. Just make sure the size is right. All luggage sold as carryon isnt always.....but Ebags is pretty good.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need a suitcase that I don't have to check through!

Karen: I need wheels! Why did you hate the wheels? Did they lack maneuverability?