We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
208 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone, netbook, photos, email

I will be traveling in Greece in May and want to find the most efficient way to send my friends photos and brief updates. I have an iPhone and netbook with Mobile Me and Gmail accounts. Any recommendation for what to take and what to use? Our hotels generally have wireless so will not need the phone network. Just want a quick and easy plan for sending photos and brief messages.

Thanks so much.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Two suggestions, both involving the netbook, for sending photos and updates:

1. Send globally addressed emails with photo attachments and brief notes.

2. Set up either a Facebook or PhotoBucket account, upload your photos when you get time, with brief notes accompanying each and describing your journeys. Works much like a photo-journal for you. Just send your friends an email with the address of your Photo Journal website, either before you depart, or every time you want them to go see the updated Photo Journal.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Facebook is probably the way to go. If you take pictures with the iphone you could upload them directly without need of the netbook. FB also shrinks the files to a more manageable size so you don't end up trying to upload 2 gigs of pictures if you shoot at maximum resolution. If people leave you messages you can also get notifications and reply directly through the FB app on the iphone. Many of your friends probably have accounts already.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

And now I see the FB icon in your picture, so you probably know all of that already.

Only other thing is make sure you have the right cable to be able to connect a camera to the netbook, or the proper memory card slot on it. You might also want to think of carrying a video cable with you if you want to review your pictures on a bigger screen - you may just be able to connect it to the hotel TV, but often the inputs are often crippled in hotels to prevent you from watching your own movies vs. paying for in room pay per view.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

If you upload a few hundred photos from your iPhone, don't use the cellular wireless to do that, or you'll go broke...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Hi Paula,

Please, correct me if I get something wrong about your post, but if you already pay for a MobileMe (MM) account and the feature is already set up on your device why you should bother of anything else? At least you will use what you pay for LOL

As far as I understand (I presently consider if I need MM myself and investigate its benefits and limitations now), since they are sync you can easily export your pictures from iphone (if this is going to be the source of your pictures) right into the MM gallery you create. Hence you won’t have to collect them from various e-mails upon return and arrange anew.

Then you just invite your friends to the gallery and give them access (if you’re going to make it private). But according to what I read from Apple so far, those using IE 7 to browse can face some problems viewing pics in MM (minimum trouble is slow upload); not the case with Mozzilla (and Safari, of course).

As mentioned above, Facebook, which account you obviously have as well, seems to offer the same gallery creating and sharing option (moreover – for free) and iPhoto’09 (guess you should have this app, do you?) is said to have an in-built support for direct export of your pictures to Facebook (and there’s a plugin for the earlier versions, if you use one of those).

You didn’t mention what you are going to shoot with – would be easier to give some tips on things to take if we knew that, I think.

Hope you will enjoy your trip – Greece is amazing!

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Thank you all for the detailed answers. I do use Mobile Me because I work on a desktop, laptop and phone and love to have them automatically synced. I think I'm going to take a netbook for typing and my iPhone. Will also have my digital camera, as it is high resolution than the phone camera.

Just have not quite worked out the easiest way to deal with these devices and gallery features in MM and Facebook or Twitpic?

Paula

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Paula, Ah, what a relief to read you’re not going to shoot with your iPhone. In this case, taking a netbook seems a right solution to me, while I can’t see the role of iPhone in the process (backup? doubt it).

As for the things to take, here’s my usual minimum pack (plus laptop): camera body and lens(es) with filter(s) and hood(s); battery charger and extra battery; memory card and extra memory card; cleaning set; case or bag to carry camera around. If your netbook doesn’t have an appropriate in-built card reader, don’t forget to take a portable one or a cable to connect your camera to your netbook to be able to upload pictures from your camera. If the pictures you’re going to take are precious to you, don’t forget to backup.

By the way, I checked iPhoto’09 exporting facility – it’s a piece of cake! So if you have MacOS on your netbook, it takes a couple of clicks only to send your pictures from your netbook directly to either MM or Facebook (or Flickr; but don’t bother with setting a new account there – you have MM and FB). Very easy indeed.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Cora; are you now going to become the forum's defacto Mac / iPhone / iTouch expert now that you purchased a Mac to replace your defunct PC? LOL

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

Hi Cdn,

Not until I study it thorough enough. Only then I can initiate new subforum here at G&G to share my expertise ;)

By the way I did succeed in hanging it on, after all (or what’s the correct English term for the frozen/blocked system?). Yep, a master of stress-testing à votre service.

Sorry for hijacking, Paula.

10. Re: iPhone, netbook, photos, email

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions