We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Any ideas guys would be great, I travel lots and always use a hidden pocket that goes through a belt and hangs down the front of my pants.

I just got my NEW passport and its rock hard like as hard as a metal book ( which I guess it is,) Although I never bent my old passport it did mould to the shape of my body and therefore wasn't obvious where I hid my stuff. The new passport stands "out in the crowd" so to speak and I need a new system. These new generation passports are shocking guys! I am a tiny female and the neck string things poke through all my clothes. Anyone else with a new passport found this, btw its heavy too. I need to stash my cards cash and passport for a 6 week trip all through a european summer!

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

I am not aware of these newer "stiff" passports. However, if you don't want your passport, cards and cash to be "public" for easy lifting by pickpockets, I would suggest stashing each separately.

Maybe do the following:

1. carry passport in one pocket, such as in a shirt, jacket or cargo pants side pocket.

2. Carry your cards in a separate small card wallet, in another pocket.

3. Carry your cash, i.e. bills, in another separate small wallet.

4. Always carry your coin change loose in your jacket, pants or shorts pocket. This also helps for quick access when deciding to pull out coin tips or donations.

Finally, ensure that each pocket in which you follow the first three suggestions in is a firm velco locked pocket, or a zippered pocket. That is what makes me feel safer when I travel. I have other tricks of the trade I follow, but they are my own and these I do not share for risk of thieves learning them on the internet.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 20:35
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Regarding carrying your passport. Why do you carry your passport around instead of leaving it in the hotel safe. I only carry my driving licence which contains a photo whilst overseas or if I think my passport details whilst overseas I scan the passport and take a couple of colour printouts. I also leave a scanned copy on line at hotmail in case I need more. This particular hotmail account is set up that it will only accept emails from my home account, thus I get no spam on it. I also keep copies of all current travel documents including travel tickets, show tickets, accomodation confirmations and anything other relevant info I think important.

I carry a man bag with a good solid wrist strap for any items that might get picked in my pocket.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Nearly time for a new passport for us as well so that`s interesting to know. Hubby`s is very well broken in and he`ll have difficulty with the new one.

I always hang my passport holder on my shoulder and use my bra to hold it in place under my arm.Guess it`s a matter of trial and error.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Eagle Creek makes a variety of products. For several years I have had and used one of the money belts/passport holder. You can align it easily with the waistband of your clothing and find the position most comfortable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

I use the Eagle Creek one that goes around the waist and under the clothes, but only in transit between destinations. Once I get to where Im going, I lock everything in the hotel safe. There is a copy of my passport, 1 credit card and a few larger bills in the pocket inside the flap of my camera bag, that is always worn over the shoulder, across my chest. No one is getting into that pocket unless they grab the whole bag. I keep the smaller bills I will use for the day in my skirt or pants pocket. If I need to replenish cash, I try to dip into the bag when Im in a restaurant or some other non-street place.

A friend swears by the ankle pouch, but for women, I dont think its a great option. He always wears pants - and when he crosses his leg, you can see the thing. Being a tour guide, he carries a huge wad of cash - I would be worried it would either come undone - or be spotted.

The only problem with the money belt around the waist is it is still sort of visible. After traveling for a week or two, some of my skirts are hanging off me, making the pouch more obvious.

I also have a great Ex Officio skirt that comes with a deep pocket in the waist band, but I think your stiff passport could also be visible in that! And, I cant wear the same skirt every day...

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

I would advise anyone wearing these types of things to NOT do so through airport security. They will show up on the new body scanners and you will probably be forced to put them through the x-ray. Same thing if they find it in one of their constant pat down searches. Bury any valuables as deep as possible in a zipper pocket of your carry-on to deter checkpoint thieves.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Obviously you can't carry your passport through security in a money belt, but apart from actually being on the plane we always use an under clothes moneybelt to carry passport, additional credit cards, large amounts of cash. The sort we use is like this

www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Money-Belts---Pouches/Ultralight-Money-Belt-(UB39).aspx

My husband has been known to wear his diagonally across his chest under his shirt, bandolier style, but I wear mine under my slacks. Nick's passport is new but not too rigid to wear this way.

I have never had a problem wearing the belt through security, though what would happen in full body screening I don't know. May find out later in the year when we go to the States.

Edited: 31 May 2010, 12:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

This URL might work

http://tinyurl.com/2edxuq3

and indeed it does

Edited: 31 May 2010, 12:57
Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Looks like a good money belt. I wonder ...? Just how wide and sturdy is that waist strap, plus the strap clasp?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money belts, neck and leg pouch

Doesn't show that does it. The strap is about an inch wide, multi strand woven polyester by the looks. The clip is at one front side with part of the pouch behind it so it doesn't dig into you. It is one of those clips where you have to do a very strong push in with fingers on two sides of the clasp to release the plug in bit. I admit to having replaced the strap of mine with wide black elastic. Probably not as safe but as I wear it under slacks I wish anyone luck getting it out, and very comfortable. It will take notes lying flat, passports and has a small pocket inside for credit cards too. That still leaves it flat enough not to show under slacks and an overshirt, but might not be ideal for a slim young thing in tight pants. I wear it to the front.