We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making coffee in a hotel room

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Making coffee in a hotel room

I'm an early riser and enjoy having a cup of coffee when I get up. Restaurants aren't open that early, and the hotels I stay in in Latin America don't have coffee makers. Are there any small, clever new gadgets for making one cup? Something that heats the water and has a built-in filter maybe? And its own unbreakable cup? I've checked the archives here and noodled around on Google but haven't seen anything that matches my vision..

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Sometimes I travel with my tiny French press and a bit of coffee I grind at home before leaving. It works well for making just one or two cups and does not consume much space in my luggage.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Try amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+immersion+heater&sprefix=travel+immersion

I used the amazon search engine by typing in travel immersion heater and the above URL resulted

Edited: 04 July 2010, 08:06
Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

The combination of an immersion heater along with a French press is likely to give the best results.

But ... I have seen a nifty device on the market, which is a one cup coffee maker, with a permanent screen filter, which attaches to the top of a travel mug (mug comes with device). Sorry, but I can't for the life of me recall it's name, but I think I've seen them in outfitter's stores catalogues and websites like Mountain Equipment Co-op here in Canada.

You might find the same thing at a Cabela's in the USA.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Thanks for the replies so far. I was hoping someone had invented a plug-in, one-piece unit--something like a one-cup drip coffee maker--by now so I could avoid separate immersion heater/filter/cup. All your suggestions sound like something I should investigate.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 14:39
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Cdn Katmandu have a polycarbonate cup with a built in mesh filter for plunger coffee which my wife uses at work. It would appear that our OP biggest problem is the heating of the water. The Katmandu coffee maker is probably available from many suppliers worldwide.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

This link explains several one cup coffee makers, including the Katmandu. Perhaps one of them is what you have in mind. matadorgoods.com/coffee-gear-for-coffee-fana…

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

I used to have one of those similar to the "Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker" but unfortunately I let myself get talked into disposing of it during a period of downsizing. It made great Americano / Espresso style coffee. But you needed a stove top.

I think though that azbuceadora is looking for an All-in-1 wonder that both heats and makes coffee.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Well, the one-piece model seems not to exist. I will have to break down and go the immersion heater route. Today at Whole Foods I spied a Bodum Solo coffee maker that I'll probably buy. It's gotten good reviews on Amazon, is lightweight and kinda sorta compact, and the reviewers noted it's much easier to clean than a French press.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links to look at. The most troubling aspect of all this is: I'm turning into my mother!! She was a coffee addict and no restaurant coffee was strong enough for her. I'm justifying my search by saying that I want my own coffee maker only because I'm an early riser.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

Wouldnt the Quick Cafe II meet the needs. It would appear so to me.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making coffee in a hotel room

The Quick Cafe II is almost there, but 'way too bulky for a carry-on. If it were a single column, like the diameter of a coffee mug, it would be perfect.