We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portable scales

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Portable scales

I went to some lengths to get portable scales - on ebay eventually. The ones I got had a silly hook on the end shaped like a V so it slipped off the handle of my one suitcase with a conventional handle and didn't work at all for the other one which had no actual handle on the top. Even without that problem, there is the simple difficulty of how one holds up the bag to weigh it. When you get to 25-30kg (which is why you bought the scales in the first place) the bag is certainly too heavy to lift clear off the floor AND read a number. Save your money and space in your suitcase, I say.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portable scales

I must admit that I would have to agree with the OP. 20 kg plus is very heavy to lift and try and read the scale,. We got around the problem by using a slightly smaller bag than we normally used and then packed it to the gunwhales weighed it and it came under 20kgs which gave us a pretty good idea how much stuff we can travel with. If only I could convince my wife .........................

Edited: 03 August 2010, 04:02
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portable scales

I use these ones

http://www.balanzzaluggagescales.com.au/

and find them perfectly fine to lift with the suitcase.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portable scales

I bought the Balanzza from the RAA and find it very useful. Very light to throw in the bag and has a light and alarm that comes in handy.

It just beeps when the weight registers and you just put down the bag and read the amount.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portable scales

I also have the balanzza scale. The good thing is you only need to be able to lift for a few seconds. There is a beep, then you can put down the suitcase and read the weight. I can do up to 50 lbs/22.73kg (that's the limit for most checked bags).

But I try and keep my ONE checked bag to 47 pounds or less...allowing a little flexibilty. I also leave stuff (half used toiletries, ratty old sneakers) before I come home so I KNOW the suitcase is lighter. I have never had to pull out the luggage scale. I once did have an incident in Cancun they SWORE my suitcase was overweight. I KNEW it wasnt....I made them take the suitcase off the scale...sure enough it registered about 3-4 pounds without anything on scale. I WIN. (Another time in Dom Rep. one year I fell for the overweight - american airlines - next year I KNEW I wasnt overweight and I just refused to pay - I WIN AGAIN.

5. Re: Portable scales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:17