We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best day bag for a tourist?

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I often end up carrying a stuffed day pack prepared for any eventuality (sunscreen, TP, hand sanitizer, hat, water bottle, ...), and I have yet to find a sufficient bag!

Neither a purse nor an airline carry-on (although of these dimensions) nor a (hiking) backpack, the bag should be two-shouldered and comfortable enough for most historical/cultural tourist needs. Would prefer:

- Waterproof or water-resistant material

- Lightweight but sturdy, pref. without frame

- Multiple pockets, zippered. Particularly pockets-in-pockets or places to put more valuable items not generally accessible from the front

- Options for a water bottle (pocket, carabiner clip)

Thanks for your recommendations!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

There is no such thing as "best" - too many personal preferences to be taken into consideration. I use a basic North Face backpack I found on clearance at Ebags.com for around $25. It is water resistant, light and has a mesh water bottle holder. Probably fails your pockets requirement though. Take a look over there - they have a huge selection and you can search by features.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 14:44
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

Why not check out the local luggage shop in your nearest shopping mall. I am sure they will have something that meets most of your needs.

seattle
Level Contributor
657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

Suggest you check Ebags, which others have already mentioned, and REI. Both have online stores with large selections and reviews. I have my eye on the North Face Surge at Ebags and the Roadster Mini Rucksack from RedOxx for day packs.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I do not carry a daybag just a small purse which contains tissues, hand sanitiser, comb, ATM card, some cash and a map. Most places you can easily buy water etc. I always feel that 'the backpack' is an invitation to theives - even if you just have water and your old sneakers in there. If I did feel the need to carry a larger bag it would be a messenger style one.

Ciao

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I have two, maybe three, daypacks I can use. However, my personal preference is my Swiss Gear sling bag which has two outside water bottle pockets, a change and wallet pocket at the front lower end and cell phone holster built into the strap. There are also numerous inside pockets with both zipper and velcro closures.

If I had a picture, I'd show it, but I don't. If you're on the eBags site, look for a sling bags. They are very accommodating.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I think you will find what you want under Pacsafe, which have everything from small handbags up to backpacks. Your most economical buy may then be through somewhere like Ebags.

Also check out The Healthy Back Bag.

Berwyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I spent 2 weeks in China using a large Bumbackpack.

I carried my laptop, ipad, phone, video and P&S camera, plus various items in the pockets.

What I liked about it:

Convertible from backpack to messenger bag in about 5 seconds. Great to carry as a back pack most of the time, but in crowded areas where pickpockets were a worry, changing to a messenger bag took no time at all.

Lots of pockets/compartments...the flap provides easy access but also gave me a secure feeling knowing that you couldn't get to the main compartment without me knowing. The small pockets were great for batteries and other supplies that I wanted to easily access.

The bag overall was quite comfortable to carry and the Large size had lots of room for stuffing various items in it while out shopping. There are also pockets for umbrellas and water bottles too. It was nice being able to use the bag as both a laptop bag for the flight and also a day bag when I left the laptop in the room safe. I made 3 daytrips by train with this and highly recommend it.

It isn't cheap, but I thought it was a great solution for several needs.

http://www.bbpbags.com/hamptons.html

Edited: 08 December 2010, 17:30
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I am still on the perrenial search for this 'perfect bag'. My current collection of packs ranges close to 2 dozen!

My latest incarnations of the perfect bag for a daypack are:

1. a stuffable day pack from REI that I take when taking my larger carry-on daypack (Deuter 32 Futura which I use for trips like 3 weeks in Europe kind of trip www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php… )

http://www.rei.com/product/754685

2. when taking a carry on roller suitcase I take a 2 litre hydration pack (with or without the hydration bottle depending on the trip). Made by High Sierra it is an absolutely awesome deal at $25. Expandable, loads of pockets and a very, very useful. I frequently use this bag for hiking or even a 1 or 2 night getaway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0R5CcLSPFM

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I am obviously of a completely different mindset to most but to me lugging round one of these huge bags (the size of my laptop carry-on) would be torture. I use an 8' x 10' bag - just big enough for my kindle - with an across body strap and that is enough for me.

To each their own!! Happy travelling.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best day bag for a tourist?

I like small day bags too. That is why I prefer my SwissGear sling bag for day outings and to the beach.

I just saw another convertible roller SwissGear bag last weekend. Took lots of pictures. It was $80CDN. Could easily be used as a Medium to large checked bag. Nice feature was a Zip-off and Clip-off Day bag attached to its' exterior. When I get the chance, I will upload photos.