We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

My home is bursting at the seems with all manner of luggage but I have nothing that fits the measurements for the cabin luggage permitted on Ryanair planes.

I really don't want to invest in fancy luggage this time around, so could someone please recommend where I might buy a cheap and cheerful wheely carry-on bag that fits the bill:

ryanair.com/en/…cabin-baggage-allowance

"maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted"

I have absolutely no intention of purchasing Ryanair's own approved cabin bag which costs a silly 70 quid (approx). It doesn't even look nice and will pass muster only if it has been packed the correct way according to the charming Mr Ryan.

We're Determined not to fall foul of their strict guidelines; weight limits will be observed, liquids will be in a zipped plastic bag of the correct dimension, and cabin bags will be within the parameters allowed.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

ps I know there is a flight forum, but I value the opinions of too many people here to jump ship right now. Thank you.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

PurpleCeltic, there was a question about this on the Air Travel forum a few weeks ago, which might be of interest to you.

http://tinyurl.com/6fj87x9

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Have you tried a Poundland store - they have a range of luggage reasonably priced. I bought a carry on last year - don't know if it is in Ryanairs dimensions though for 9.00GPB.

Or does your high street have any cheap shops that sell everything, they might have one.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,857 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Go to TK Maxx with a tape measure & a set of scales remembering that Ryanair include wheels and handles in their dimensions

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Unless you are certain you need a pull along, a frameless back pack might have a better chance of meeting the required dimensions and weight limit.

The shops suggested might have some, but I bought one at my local market for a fiver.

Wow. Ryan Air's baggage allowance is less than EasyJet's. Another reason for not flying Ryan Air.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Argos have a couple, and the reviews talk about which is the right size. I bought one for about £12 recently & it's fine.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Thanks to Gil Trish Alanrow Leagle and Hickney for all the suggestions.

We don't have a poundstretcher so that was out. I headed off to TKMaxx with my tape measure and did find a nice quality skyflite wheely case that fit the bill, but I held back as I wasn't fussed about the colour. It was 19.99 so not bad and good quality.

Next up was Tesco where I found the perfect bag at 13gbp as suggested on the flight forum. It was cheap, cheerful with a couple of handy external pockets. My new Tesco small relic wheely case is just a little under the measurements permitted by Ryanair, but its expandable so handy for trips on proper airlines too! Never made it to Argos.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-7090.aspx

Cheers everyone. Sorted:-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

PC, a trick I have used in the past on stingy airlines. I wore a jacket with large pockets, I put heavy items in the pockets until I was through to airside then put those items in the carry-on bag.

I have travelled carry-on only for a few years and the now extinct Zoom airline used to be very strict with weight and size of carry-on bags.

Westmeath
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

I carry my handbag separately and put plenty in it - just wonder after reading the comments if I should be doing this. I'm travelling tomorrow so will probably get pulled over!!!! Ah well here comes.!!!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

(Almost) unrelated to your question but for a giggle do Google 'fascinating aida cheap flights' for more information.

(And my Flylite bag for £20 has proved Ryanair proof too)

Edited: 12 April 2011, 21:53
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive Carry-on cabin bag for Ryanair flight?

Speaking of Flylite bags, david, have you checked yours or used it solely as a carryon? I'm almost at the point of buying one but would like to know whether you're very / a little / only just pleased with having bought and used the bag.

Thanks very much.