We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

Im off travelling for a month to Singapore, OZ, NZ, Fiji and HK. I shall be in a few hostels along the way. I keep reading stories abotu bed bugs, should I take a sleeping bag? I want to be ruthless as to what I take and what I dont take but also the flipside is as im going for a month im sure I can squeeze in a sleeping bag. I'll be going in a months time.

Also does anyone have a basic backpackers packing list? Just so I can double check whether ive forgotten anything?

Thanks for your help :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

Some hostels these days are in reality low cost hotels with everything supplied and no two hostels are the same. If you know where you would like to stay send them an email and ask what are their respective prerequisites.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

It will be hot so perhaps a sheet sleeping bag (I remember my mother made me one from a bedsheet) would do the trick. You can get bedbugs in a 5star as well so do not dwell on that. The backpackers we stayed at in OZ (where they are usually in prime locations) gave you sheets so no problems there and I am told the same applies in NZ. The backpackers also had laundry facilities.

Have a great trip

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

You can buy or make silk sleeping bag sheets. Bedbugs can't get through the weave of silk. Doesn't protect your head of course but better than the whole body getting bitten. And silk is lightweight and will take up no room at all in your bag.

4. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 02:35
Edited: 30 March 2011, 02:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

Hi Nuzi

I have some relatives who are backpacking & I've seen them share this link on facebook...

www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

You might also find some info on the YHA website...

http://www.yha.com.au/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

I have never taken a sleeping bag, but there were several places where it probably would have been a good idea. For me the main thing would be pillows, as some of them have a funky smell. That is usually solved by wrapping a towel or something else around them.

7. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 02:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

Many hostels won't allow you to use sleeping bags as they are carriers of bed bugs, ticks etc. They do allow sleep sacks (sheets), so a silk sleep sack would be your best deterrant for bed bugs.

Edited: 29 March 2011, 07:30
9. Re: Staying in hostels for the first time - sleeping bag needed?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18