We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

I am going to buy a new GPS to take on our driving trip in Italy from Venice to Lake Como then down to La Spezia for 7 days.

Can anyone give me feedback on how you found your Tom Tom or Garmin worked in Italy? Maybe you had one in a rental car?

Did you have any trouble with it dropping out and finding the satellites when you were driving?

I am looking at the Tom Tom Via 160 or Via 180 and the Garmin Nuvi 1450T. I understand that the Garmins refresh the route quicker????

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pam

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

My SIL lives in Europe and loves her tomtom. You do have to be specific as to whether you want the shortest route by distance or time. TTonce sent her over the mountain in the winter as it was shorter!!!

The roads around Como are quite slow and windy so allow extra time. In Venice a car is of no use sso I assume you will be starting your rental there.

Enjoy Italy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

Thanks Keenvisitor,

We are picking up our car in Venice then driving to Lake Como.

Cheers

Pam

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

I've used my bottom of the range TomTom all over the UK and France. Narrowest country roads imaginable- I'll be bringing Tom to Italy and Switzerland this year.

whatever you use, as previous poster said, always preview your route!

And if some direction feels wrong- like it's directing you over a cliff- don't blindly follow. It's true- it's happened to people before!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

Driving over a cliff, are there people out there so stupid?????

Thanks

Pam

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

I don't know how but it's true. I remember seeing an article on a gentleman who continued to follow the sat nav until he had his car hung on the edge of a cliff. Lorries who use sat nav frequently have to be rescued off roads that are too small but the driver kept going.

The problem with sat navs are if roads are changed and not updated it can send you the wrong way. I'm Normandy last summer it insisted a road was in front of us that was not. We came to a dead end in a field as they had reworked the motorway. And as the other Poster said if you picked 'shortest' you can end up on hairy roads. In Cornwall I ended up in a road that barely gave a cm on each side of the car! It got us there but it was very stressful. Use the device at home first so you can tell in preview what kind of roads it's planning for you.

We've used maps for years and thoroughly enjoyed plotting courses but I must admit sat nav is really the way to go. Far less missed turns and time saved,

plus as driver, I feel it gives me more time to enjoy the views.

We are driving Venice to Como also, then on to SUI.

Happy motoring to us both!

Edited: 28 May 2011, 13:03
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

Thanks flannan.

We will be driving from Venice to Gravedona on Lake Como on 17 September, staying there for 3 nights and are considering driving to St Moritz but I don't know yet if there will be snow on the roads at that time of the year. Don't want to drive a rental car in the snow :(

When are you going?

Pam

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

We are departing Venice Sept 9 for Bellagio for the weekend. Then we are off to Lauterbrunnen. Iam still deicding if we will then take the train to our departure point of Geneva or drive to Geneva. Depends on if I survive the narrow Como and hairpin Swiss roads!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

Have a great trip flannan.

We have booked a small car on the recommendation of TA members so hopefully we will be able to squeeze through the narrow roads.

Cheers

Pam

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

I have a Garmin. Took me all over Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, and Germany. Never got lost once.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
414 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tom Tom or Garmin GPS to use in Italy?

I'm on my 3rd tomtom, currently a 950live. They've taken me through every country in Europe with few probs. I switched from Garmin several years ago and glad I did. There's a reason Taxi and bus drivers use tom-tom. I still love the Garmin on my bike and the ones I use for backcountry stuff though.

Get answers to your questions