We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

melbourne
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

We are in our 60's & travelling to the UK & want to purchase lightweight suitcases. We have seen the above & are wondering if they are any good. Noticed they don't have a clip to hold another bag (like a backpack). We always use this facility at airports when queing or walking to a destination. Also the handle didn't look very user friendly.

If you have one, how did you get around these problems or do you think we would be better to purchase another brand & if so which?

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

I do not have one but I was looking at them a few days ago. A handle that has the struts at the side of the case would seem to be good and the bag was light . I looked at the carry-on and thought it expensive at $80 (can) on sale. I usually hook my small bag over the handle and am not sure if that would work with the wider handle.

Hope that helps.

melbourne
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

Hi keenvisitor,

I have also hooked our bag over the handle in the past but this one is too wide. We could get the bigger suitcase on special for $99 which was definitely cheap but am unsure if it will last plus still don't know what to do with being able to attach another bag..

cheers

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,754 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

You might want to look at this recent thread

tripadvisor.com.au/…22905967

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

I bought a sub 0 suitcase last year from my trip to the UK and after 9 days on a bus doing a tour of Ireland the material on the case started to fray & 1 of the rings that is used to fasten a lock to lock an outside compartment also broke off so I had no way of locking this compartment on my case so was subjected to worry all the way home!! I sent the case back to the maker's requesting a replacement but not the of the same make of suitcase but they repaired it and sent it back to me. I then sent them an email to explain how it was a brand new suitcase & after only 9 days of travel this damaged occurred & they sent me back a long winded email basically saying they didn't really care much & that their warranty doesn't cover wear & tear, only faulty material, which I consider it must have been as it frayed after only 9 days of use! but IT Luggage (formerly Landor-Hawa) basically said that it wasn't covered by warranty & I should use it as a learning experience for the future!! So their 10yr warranty doesn't actually cover anything, when you break the sentences of the warranty down the wording actually absolves them of any fault what so ever!! So unless you have the money to enlist the help of a solicitor to prove that faulty material used to make the product was the actual cause of the damage not just simple wear & tear, I would stay well clear of that suitcase/brand & go for good, well known brand name & equally good customer service to back that brand name up! I was disgusted at the email reply I received from the company and wouldn't reccommend their product to anyone travelling over a weekend let alone overseas!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

We haven't tried that particular brand. We have always been Antler luggage users and all our suitcases are still intact after many years. You may be interested in having a look at the Antler New Size Zero luggage. It's very lightweight. We've bought ours a year or so ago and they seem to be holding up well. I think Myer may still have luggage on sale at the moment. Or check out The Luggage Professionals website - they have also opened a shop, in Malvern, I think.

melbourne
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

Thanks wylie_crush & hippodreams for your replies. When we hadn't heard from someone who had actually used the cases decided to go with our gut instincts & have now purchased 2 Antler New Size Zero cases that luggage direct had on their site for $299 2 weeks ago. This was $100 cheaper than elsewhere. I think they might have been superceded models as they came with TSA padlocks instead of TSA locks as part of case. Still think we got a pretty good deal.

Now feel very happy knowing that we made the right choice!

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

That does sound like a good deal. I haven't been able to see them when I've been to Myer recently, but I haven't particularly liked what they have in stock at the moment. Not that I need to buy anything, I just like to keep an eye on what's around. I hope your new cases work out well for you.

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

We have nothing but praise for our Sub-0-G cases. For a start, they have such a distinctive design, you can never miss them anywhere. We have watched them loaded onto planes and buses - gives a lot of confidence. They change the patterns so often, you are extremely unlikely to find someone else with your pattern on your trip.

Secondly, they are so very light. A huge advantance.

They are really strong. We have used ours on a number of cruise holidays requiring long-haul flights. Cruise ships are worse than airlines for how luggage handled. The airlines and ships have done their best to destroy the luggage so you can see the signs but the integrity of the cases has not been compromised.

We have found that the customer service is very good. One airline managed to rip off one of the feet on one of our cases, destroying the part of the frame into which the foot was screwed. [Despite this, the only problem was that the case listed slightly!] They replaced the component that was destroyed as well as the foot. All the was required was an email exchange [including photographs] enabling them to identify the comonenet that was damaged.

Oh, yes, and they are also really cheap compared to other lightweight luggage so if we do have to replace them eventually, we will have more that got our money's worth.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

We too are highly satisfied and bought the smaller size - partly because they were on a very cheap promotion (often the case- no pun intended - in the UK) ... but mainly because we always travel hand-luggage only with cheap carriers like Ryanair who have rigid size and weight limits and are only cheap if you avoid checked-in baggage.

The Sub zero's are the correct size, fantastically light and unlike other cases which use up too much of your 10kilo carry on allowance.

They are robust despite being soft-sided, have strong wheels and the full-width pull-up handle makes them very stable, but... the only time I ever let one out of my sight and checked it into the tender care of the baggage handlers, it suffered a bit of wear on the corners, and a small tear in the outer layer of the two-layer fabric;

Purely a cosmetic problem, so I'm still a fan, but don't think I'd pay full-price for them

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lightweight suitcase / Sub O G Any Good?

I bought a samsonite Blite 4 wheel spinner that has also frayed in one section after 1 trip! have been told that it won't be covered as 'airline damage'. cheap bags I have had before have never done this.