We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Should I Take Travelling?

Maidstone, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
What Should I Take Travelling?

Hello There..

I have 2 questions..

What should I take travelling?

How much should I be paying for the items I should take away with me?

I am looking to do a big around the world trip, so am looking at Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and possibly the States..

Any help will be really good to have... I am looking at purchasing items that I could use in any of these places..

Thanks,

Lauren :)

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

Well, you should take at the barest minimum a small carry-on with what "YOU" deem essential, and also your wallet with credit / debit cards, along with a passport.

NOTE: Asking for a "what is essential" is a very broad question here and doesn't give any hint as to what technology you wish to carry, if any. This is a Travel Gadgets and Gear forum, after all.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

"Anything you can use"? That would be money and credit card.

If you would have check in luggage, then consider a good multi tool. Most frequent use is the opener for a nice beer. The knife come in second to cut fruits.

In my carry on, i always have a simple flashlight.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

My answer to both your questions would be 'as little as possible'

This thread is more about how to pack than what to pack, but it does have some good tips on useful things to take with you.

Just remember that there are shops in <<Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and possibly the States..>>

If you forget something that you absolutely can't live without you can always buy it on your travels.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12407-k4440…

Whatever you decide is your absolute minimum the conventional wisdom says 'leave half behind'.

When you have to carry your stuff around for weeks on end it's amazing how one's perspective on 'essential' changes.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

I travel (for however long) with a 21inch carry-on (which sometimes has to be checked as many airlines have a strict 1 bag onboard rule) and a laptop bag. Long term travel means you have to be able to handle your luggage easily. I am female and i always make sure that everything i take goes with everything else - it is no use taking a top/skirt/pants that only goes with one other item. For DH it is simpler as most shirts/tops go with most pants/shorts/. You also have to think about laundry so items that wash and dry quickly are good - leave those really thick socks or very wrinkle prone items at home.

Lots of threads on what to take and how to pack - use the go box to find them.

The main thing is to remember (as already mentioned) that there will be shops wherever you go so you can buy whatever you need. The old 'take half the clothes and twice the money' is still a good guide.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 16:05
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

Pre-trip preparedness and packing lists are key.

suitcaseready.com

Maidstone, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

I am also thinking of taking a solar power panel charger to charge my electronics on the go whilst I am away.. Has anybody got experience with this? And do you think it will be a good idea? Heavy comes to mind, but I have been told you can get them quite lightweight now.

Thanks

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

It depends how much 'stuff' you want to carry around.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

I would just avoid the extra charger.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

Well one thing I never travel without is my supersmarttag which protects me from losing my bags.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Should I Take Travelling?

Gordon - never heard of one of those. Info please.

Get answers to your questions