We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for two??

California
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for two??

Hello, I will be traveling to Italy for 18 days with my mom, who can't lift anything over 10 lbs so I will be carrying all of our stuff... I am thinking of A) packing our stuff in a large 70 liter backpack or B) packing a 35 liter pack for myself and rolling around a carry-on sized luggage for herself... I've never been to Europe... So I'm not sure what to expect... Any advice would be really helpful or any other ideas?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for two??

Are you backpacking - ie hiking etc and therefore need a backpack ?

If not I would stick with a compact lightweight 4 wheel roller each. You can still lift hers when needed but she will be capable of pushing or pulling a 4 wheeler - even along italian cobblestone streets.

You dont need 18 days worth of clothes each. 3 days worth is ample. Pack easy wear lightweight layers that all go with each other. Rinse or wash every few days (lightweight man made fibres will dry quickly).

Take your favourite "already well worn in" walking shoes. Not brand new ones.

Wear a handbag with an across the body strap and keep the bag in front of your body and zipped closed.

Forget packing jewellery etc. Especially if it looks like its worth something.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for two??

This site below is really helpful for packing tips. I just got back last week from 2 1/2 weeks in Europe and managed only with a carry-on bag (rolling small duffle) and large purse. It's much easier to go light. The people you see there won't know, after all, that you wore the same outfit two days ago, and will wear it two days later, and washed it in the sink in your hotel room. I packed a folding tote bag for souvenirs, and for the trip home checked the tote (filled with laundry) and carried the souvenirs in my rolling carry-on.

http://onebagger.squarespace.com/main/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for two??

Good advice above... if you're hotel/hosteling then it's really easy to pack carry-on sized luggage only. With wheels it's super simple to do the airport/taxi/hotel/etc. thing with no strain whatsoever.

Packing light is the ONLY way to go when you're moving around... it makes travel a pleasure...

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

California
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for two??

Thanks for the tips! definetly started my packing list and am trying to keep it short!! I'm thinking the carryon should work for her and a small 35ltr. backpack for myself..

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for two??

If you get a device to attach the back pack to the carry on size wheeled bag it will mean you can wheel them both together when you have any distance to travel.

I got a device from TravelSmith that made ravelling on trains (and pretty much everywhere else) much easier.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for two??

A bar of washing soap is useful for rinsing things out. I have clothes i only use when travelling - polyester iis good for instance. Things that do not need ironing are best and things which mix and match are a must. Comfortable shoes are a must - pack a pair and wear a pair. I just got back from a 10week trip and my luggage was a 21 inch case 9which I sometimes had to chech due to strict 1 bag rules) and a laptop sized bag.

Do be sure to pack some clothes for each of you in each bag so if a checked bag gets lost you will still both have clothes. Have a great time. Buon viaggio.

7. Re: Packing for two??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 September 2012, 02:05
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for two??

Things must be quiet in Singapore these days, eh Hebrews? Haha...

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for two??

Please report the spam folks!

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for two??

You don’t need as many clothes as you think you do - I once wore a pair of jeans on holidays for 13 days straight without washing them. The only person who knew was my husband, travelling with me. And just FYI ... At home I usually wear jeans only once or twice before washing them. On a 3 week trip to Egypt, I travelled with 8kg of luggage – shoes are the killer. I try to take only the pair I am wearing . For women. Mary-jane style shoes are great - comfy, look good with trousers or skirts.