We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gps from u.s. to italy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
gps from u.s. to italy

I am new to using gps device. I would like to buy one I can use in Europe, specifically in italy next week. How do they get charged? Do they come with a car charger or outlet charger. And in both instances, can you charge one from the u.s. in a car rented in italy?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

All cars worldwide use the same 12V round 'cigarette lighter' socket as American cars so there is no problem taking a US gps to Europe or vice versa.

You will be able to buy and download maps for Italy or Western Europe from your gps systems web site .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Thank you so much mymsman. I really appreciate it. I can now go out and buy one tomorrow. I assume that if I buy an international one with lifetime updates I'll be able to download the Sicily app (or whatever it's called) without additional cost.

Eva

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Getting Europe maps on a US sold device is going to be expensive. It will probably cost $70 to $100 to add the European maps. How often do you plan on traveling to Europe? If not often, you are probably better off renting one from the rental car company.

Garmin has a couple models that have US, Canada and Europe pre loaded. The cheapest looks like the Nuvi 2475LT. Amazon has it for about $190. That does not include lifetime map updates, which will run another $100 or so if you want to buy them later.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Renting a SatNag from a car rental company for a week is often more expensive than buying a basic unit out right.

As tev9999 points out most systems sold in the US only include US&Canada maps as standard and adding additional countries adds to the price

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Do remember to take your recharging cord and plug adaptor just in case you get a car with a non functioning lighter thingy - we once did.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Thank you again mymsman and to keenvisitor as well.

Eva

Chalfont...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

I agree, I just priced them with my rental car for Italy in 2 weeks. The cheapest I found was 8 euros a day

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,103 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

8 euros a day seems a lot less than $190.

In any case, I would bring a paper map with you as back-up. I have an international Garmin, with North American and European maps. Works pretty well, but I can confirm that there are no lifetime updates with the purchase price.

If you are unfamiliar with using a GPS, I would start learning now--many hotels, especially in older towns, have the hotel on one street, and the parking in another. You would need to call or fax them with an enquiry about the coordinates if they were not available on the hotel website.

Likewise, I have had difficulty with GPS systems when visiting parks and wilderness areas, where there are few points of reference. In this instance, a map really comes in handy.

GPS is not fool-proof. If I had money for every time it told me to turn the wrong way onto a one way street, or told me I was at my destination when I was not, or told me my destination was on the left when it was on the right, I would have quite a packet.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

Laura is right... get busy with your new unit as soon as you get it. The first thing you'll need to do is update it. Yes... it's new but it may have actually been manufactured months ago.

You can also download what are called POIs (Points of Interest). I have 3 TomToms and for them there are thousands and thousands of POIs available to download... free. They range from showing you all the hotels in a certain chain to B and B locations to scenic drives to locations of branches of a bank you prefer to use. Very useful.

Next you need to learn how to work the device. Half the time when I see someone complaining about the poor GPS they have it's because they didn't use it properly. I remember one trip report where the person was upset that although they drove along beside an autoroute, their device never told them to get onto it. Want to bet their device was set to 'avoid highways'? That also brings up another important point... feel free to ignore the GPS whenever you like. That doesn't mean you should barrel up a one way street but if you like the look of a road... take it. The GPS will figure out how to adjust to still get you to your destination.

Be sure you have good maps too... I love my TomToms but decent maps are essential, especially for planning. And while no GPS is perfect... people make mistakes reading maps all the time too! LOL

Have a great time!

Rob

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gps from u.s. to italy

I do it a bit differently. I travel between USA and Europe often, and updating can sometimes be a problem at critical times. I keep my North American GPS as is, and purchased another European GPS for my overseas trips. they're small, and I carry both.

Get answers to your questions