We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Card

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Card

I just renewed my passport (for the 2nd time!) and also received a passport card. What is this for? Anything in particular?

Thanks

Pjk

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Card

The passport card is for land travel within the US, Canada and Mexico. Might be useful on cruises within North America too. If you drive to Canada, you can use it instead of your passport book. It is a cheaper option for those that don't want to pay for the full passport book and don't need to leave NA.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
167 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Card

i carry it around as an alternative to my driver's license. for example, if i go abroad, i just leave my DL at home. if i lose the PP card, nbd. lose the DL? ugh, DMV.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Card

Just remember the passport card will not be sufficient ID if you FLY to other countries. Just good when driving to Canada or Mexico.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Card

You will also need your US drivers license if you plan on driving in another country.

I do plan on getting the passport card when my renewal is due in a couple months. Living in a border city, there have been times I've thought about shooting over to Canada when I'm out and about, but my passport is at home. Wallet friendly is good.

Edited: 16 November 2012, 13:58
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Card

I thought this was odd. I sent two photos for my renewal. One is in the new passport and I just received, separately, my old passport with the new photo in, not overlaying the old photo but on the same facing pages. I suppose this was done because my passport doesn't expire until 04/13.

Pjk

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Card

They scan the photos and print them directly in the passport now, so I'm not sure why they even require two pictures any more. It is not like the old days where they laminated a photo into the book. Did you pay the extra fee for the passport card or did they mess up and include it free?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Card

I dont know how other countries do it but as the passports these days are all similar I guess it is similar processing. The passport people put both photos on the application form one face up and the other facedown with my name on it facing up. FRom there I dont know what happens except that they ask for colour phots but print the picture in black and white go figure./

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Card

$140.00 renewal which, according to the government web page, is the cost of a passport renewal only. In case anyone does a search I didn't need it renewed until my next trip out of the US next April, so I just sent it in. The check cleared in 7 - 10 days, and I had the passport maybe a week later.

Pjk

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Card

$140 is the charge for a renewal of a passport and the card. It is $110 for passport book only. Better start making some road trips to Canada to get your $30 worth.

travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

Brazil, Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Card

Just bring it when you are travelling. Just in case when you need it you have it.