We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

These shoes were made for walking?

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Topic
These shoes were made for walking?

I'll be in Rome for the first time in mid May and I know we'll be doing A LOT of walking (which to be very honest I'm not used to). So I'm starting to research the best shoes for my trip. Unfortunately I wear a VERY small size (4 1/2 to 5 women's!) which means I can't just walk into any old store, try a whole bunch on and buy my favorite. I also don't want to buy a kids size because I find they aren't usually made as good.

So to hopefully cut down on the online ordering (and more than likely returning) . . . Can everyone give me some suggestions on some great shoes and shoe brands?

Currently I'm thinking about these three but totally open to other suggestions . . .

amazon.com/gp/…

amazon.com/gp/…

amazon.com/gp/…

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I'm not sure if it matters but I forgot to add that I usually wear socks and fairly inexpensive Nike sneakers everyday. Also I'm looking for something very plain in either a black or grey color. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb walking around Rome in hot pink shoes. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,604 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I'm a Keens fan myself but not those "runner" styles. I prefer their shoes that look like normal shoes (mine are mary jane style) but still have the great ortho support and good tread on the bottom. Mine have been everywhere - as my day to day walking to work shoes, rock climbing and bush walking, around Sth America, to Antarctica twice - great deck shoes, but still manage to go into a nice restaurant.

I take a spare toothbrush to give them a clean if they get muddy etc and they dry overnight in the hotel.

This is them

keenfootwear.com.au/Product/…Sydney-II

Merrell and Ecco also make similar nice looking womens shoes that are really good walking shoes that look nothing like runners.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I wear Sketchers or sandals. Lots of cobblestones in Italy so flats or small heels are best. I swear that the Italian women get lessons on walking in heels at school!!!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

You will want a thicker sole since you will be walking over cobblestones. The Asics will give you that. I wear them for walking and working out. Great support for the foot and also for my back.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I've also worn the Keen Venice H2 sandals for walking and hiking. I have a friend whose feet are the size of yours and she also loves the Keen Venice H2.

Level Contributor
69 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I am a fan of Merrill's, prefer sandals or the lightweight barefoot styles. Zappos is a great online site, free returns with generous return dates, and most shoes have reviews.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

I now buy most of my shoes from Zappos. They are great. Fast free delivery.

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

The Keens I bought ended up being too big and I'm afraid that's going to be a problem no matter what brand I buy in an adult size. So I'm now looking at a kid sized Teva (see link for shoe). Does anyone know if they are any good? Thanks!

amazon.com/gp/…

Edited: 10 January 2013, 18:06
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

Hello! I have tried Keen & Merril and love Keen. Honestly, if you dont want to stand out I would prefer mary jane type shoes (like perfectly p) verses any type of sneaker.

My all time favorites are mary jane type shoes by Keen or Clarks (Zappos sell Clarks). Fit Flops are fabulous! They have many styles. There soles are light and very comfy. I wore them to Disney World initially before I took them overseas. If any shoe can make my feet feel lile they are walking on air (after 4 Days of Disney) ---I'm sold on them. They (fit flops) have size 4/5. I wear 6/7 or approx 36-38 Euro size.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 05:02
Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: These shoes were made for walking?

How about these iceyhotj? keenfootwear.com.au/Product/…Austin

Personally I preferred to wear sturdy sandals when we were in Rome in June as it was so hot but being from California you may be used to the heat. Not that it should be as hot in May as it was in June but shoes are uncomfortable on me in temperatures over around 22 degrees Celsius.