We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipad mini

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Ipad mini

I thought I'd just throw this out in case anyone is thinking of one of these for travel use.

I brought mine on a nine day trip from the states to Budapest and used it every day. The two things in particular that I liked were its small size and weight, but also the fact that just opening the case caused it to be connected to the hotel's Internet. No boot-up time.

I used it each morning to check email and whatever, the weather, and look up addresses, and in the evening to keep a running trip report. I'm still getting used to its various functions like copying and pasting, etc., but just by experimenting most things are pretty intuitive. And the battery life is very good. I didn't think to plug it in except for every third or fourth day.

I had forgotten the attachment which holds the chip from my camera and so didn't load photos to the iPad until I got home, but this is much easier than using my net book, and with a few taps I can upload photos to, e.g., Facebook.

All-in-all a great travel companion.

Pjk

Australia
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipad mini

Glad your liking it - my next trip will be with my mini-iPad already love it and I haven't even been away with it yet :D

I like the fact it fits in my handbag and my pacsafe bag I use overseas :D

Thanks for the details :D

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipad mini

As someone with an iPad looking to move to an iPad mini, this post really helped me. Thanks!

p.s. I do with the iPad mini had Retina display :(

Edited: 27 January 2013, 22:55
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipad mini

Sometime the smallest thing impresses me.

When I try to plug the charger of my phone or netbook, into the socket I invariably get it the wrong way round and have to flip it over. The iPad socket has no wrong way. It goes in no matter which way I position it. Why can't other manufacturers do this?

Thanks Steve.

Pjk

Edited: 28 January 2013, 00:04
Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipad mini

Pjk - I find the same thing and it is annoying. Thanks for the information on the Ipad mini - very useful.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,474 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipad mini

You could also take photos with it, the quality is pretty good. Another alternative is to get a memory card with wifi for your camera.

You also forgot a key feature, calling back home with Skype (or using Facetime if your family members back home or friends also have an Apple product (Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod).

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipad mini

My friend does this on her iPad for, she says, pennies.

Pjk

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ipad mini

Hi pks! I am intrigued with your post about the iPad mini. Just got one, trying to figure this out fast. Did you use an app for your trip journal, or just post on TA? I REALLY want to figure out how to download pics from my point-n-shoot camera to the mini. Please help! What is the best wifi option? I was just planning on connecting in Spain when hotels have free wifi. Thanks so much for any reply. I so yearn to be a techie, but it may not evolve in this lifetime.

Thanks so much!

Mac

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ipad mini

PJK ! Sorry I mistyped :-)

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ipad mini

Great thread. We have a relatively new iPad mini, so this is helpful.

On loading photos: I have the adapter to load photos to regular iPad. I assume there's an adapter for the mini since the plug is different?

Is the charger (mini and old iPad) dual voltage? Can I charge it in England with adapter only, no convertor?

One idea for journal entry: Get a voice recognition app like Dragon. Speak your journal entry, then copy and paste it into whatever - Notes, an email, or what else would work well?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ipad mini

Sorry - I don't regularly stop in here, but got an email that someone posted.

I was simply connecting to the hotel's wifi in Paris. No problems.

I have the small Camera Adapter which is described here ---> staples.com/Apple-Lightning-to-SD-Card-Camer…

You take the camera chip out of your camera and put it into one end and the other goes into the IPAD. Then you have the ability to download your photos. It's nice because afaterwards you can select "Delete" and the IPAD will delete the photos from the chip. Or if you don't delete them, then next time you download you will be given the option of skipped duplicate photos on the download.

Really nice.

Pjk

Edited: 01 May 2013, 16:16
Get answers to your questions