We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage allowance

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Baggage allowance

What's the extra weight allowance for diving gear?

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage allowance

It's airline dependent if there is one. Check the website and baggage rules for the airline you are flying or thinking about flying.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage allowance

Definitely airline dependent. I can also tell you that airlines won't transport SCUBA tanks unless they are empty and the valve is removed.

Also, since you have no profile or ask specifically about an airline or destination, I can't really help you. Generally, most airlines treat a Dive Gear bag like any other bag of luggage, including size and weight restrictions. Some airlines allow special dispensation for Sporting Equipment, which also includes the baggage in which it's packed.

If you were Canadian, I could tell you that Westjet allows one free checked bag and it can be either a Golf clubs or a Dive bag which can be further stuffed with clothes.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 03:41
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage allowance

as far as I can tell traveling with divers, it is counted toward your regular allowance. They tend to bring less stuff to allow for the weight. Then again, they seem to get tired out easily and are never out at night or even during the day anyway so don't seem to need much in the way of other clothes.

Ive traveled with a lot of divers and have been to a few private atoll dive resorts where we all arrive together on charter planes or boats - have never seen anyone travel with tanks. Most divers carry their regulators and dive computers on the plane with them in their carry on luggage.

suitcaseready.com

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage allowance

Just as evening describes is the way I travel when going diving.

But, evening, I always have a nightlife ... just a different style.

5. Re: Baggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:17