We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samsung SIII

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
271 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Samsung SIII

I have a Samsung SIII here in Ireland and I am going to Siesta Key Florida in June for 2 1/2 weeks. I used this phone the last time I was in the USA and when I got back to Ireland I nearly had a heart attack when I got the bill. I believe I need to get a USA Sim Card to use in my phone when I get to Florida, Sarasota Siesta Key area. Can anyone tell me where I can get this please? I would be using my phone mostly for GPS and calls and texts back and forth to Ireland. Thank You

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samsung SIII

If you use a USA SIM, the costs back to Ireland will still be expensive as they are international calls on a mobile. You don't mention which network you are on, but if this was me I'd consider the following:

- Keep to the usual SIM because people already know the number but use mostly texts, although these are still not going to be part of any allowance/package

- Look into add-ons for travel - I am with Vodafone and there's an International traveller option but it's still going to work out expensive

- For voice calls, consider using a Voice over IP type service (or just Skype) with some credit it on it and use via free WiFi hotspots. For my landline phone provider in the UK (BT) I've even got an app on my Android phone to allow me to call people via wifi/3G using my BT call package so I can do 0800, 0845, etc. for free.

- For in country calls in the USA, maybe consider a cheap phone with a USA SIM.

For GPS, I assume you mean mapping - you can cache map areas in Google maps so you can use that without being connected to the phone network.

Finally if you do keep/use the normal SIM make sure data roaming is off! Or you'll be in for a nasty shock again.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 11:12
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
271 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samsung SIII

Thanks Rtj70. I read a few posts on this forum before I posted and I checked out Usasims.com and mrsimcard.com and they seem to have some packages that includes international, but what confuses me more that anything when I check out the text package the web sites tell me that I have to use an email address to get my texts....too much bother if you ask me.. I would only use the GPS if I got lost. I am on vodaphone here in Ireland. I did have an international packet before I left the last time and it really was not much good on price. I have a pub here in Ireland so I have to keep in touch alot. I also have an old Nokia regular phone if I could only just get a sim for that just to keep in touch it would be a help, I can do without the GPS. I am not going until June so if you or anybody has some experience of getting a sim or maybe a throwaway phone it would help. Thank You

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samsung SIII

I've no experience of getting a SIM over there - you seem to have already identified two companies.

But before assuming your old Nokia can be used double check whether it supports the GSM frequencies used in the States. Best if it is quad band. Remember, some carriers in the States don't support/use GSM at all and use CDMA amongst others. I think it's only AT&T and T-Mobile that offer GSM in the USA. Your SGSIII would of course work.

And make sure the old phone is not locked to a particular mobile network (e.g. Vodafone) and would therefore need unlocking. The same would apply to your Samsung Galaxy SIII - it is probably locked to a network unless you bought it SIM free.

Note, if you are using Google maps/navigation then you can cache a map area to the phone and then it can be used offline when in the USA without needing any data access.

Instead of posting to the gadgets thread, you might be better of searching the USA forum(s). And posting if you cannot find an answer there about SIMs.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samsung SIII

This might work for you, if you have an unlocked phone. It's a prepaid monthly no-contract plan with T-Mobile, starting at $30 a month, plus an add-on of $10 a month for international unlimited talk and text. Ireland is one of their covered countries. Looks like you would have to pay an additional $30 for a SIM card. So your total would be $70 a month. You can find T-Mobile stores in almost every mall in the US.

prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
271 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samsung SIII

Thank you very much rtj70 and emilysmom. Will look in to your ideas.

Nora

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Samsung SIII

Since you have an international GS3 it is likely unlocked already. Given that, you can walk into any Wal-Mart when you get here and get a US SIM for use while here.

Above posts suggest a few companies that I too would say are good to go.

1. T-Mobile prepaid from $30

2. H2O prepaid from $35

3. Simple mobile prepaid from $30 + cost of SIM

4. Net10 prepaid from $50 which includes international

All of these are GSM capable.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
271 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samsung SIII

Thank you Cooln3rd.....I can go into my local vodaphone store here and get it unlocked and then I will just get the sim when I get there as you all suggested. Thanks so much.

8. Re: Samsung SIII

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16