We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

I am going to Italy next month and I am assuming that, with the correct Italian SIM, the phones that I purchased in France 2 years will work for me in Italy as well. I have an LG (GB108) and a Samsung(E1080i), both purchased new in reputable cell phone stores and used for the two weeks that I spent there.

I would also like to know (assuming my plan will work) if I should wait to arrive in Italy before I purchase the SIM or if I would get a better deal online.

Lastly, as I said, I used the phones for two weeks and stuck them away for my next European trip. I am reluctant to charge them here (and I'd have to purchase an AC adaptor for euro plugs anyway). The battery appears good. No leakage or signs of corrosion. Can I assume the phones will charge when I get to Italy? Is it safe to try to charge them if I can get my hands on a simple plug adaptor or would I have to use something more like a converter (which I don't plan to buy as then I might as well wait and buy a new phone in Italy).

Thank you.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

If they have standard mini or micro USB connectors, you can charge them from anything that has a USB port, including a computer or newer wall charger. Here is an image of the connector types:

pashnit.com/pics/…usb_plug_comparison_450.jpg

If you already have a charger that fits the phone, go ahead an use it - all USB chargers use the same five volts. If you need a cable, you can get it at any electronics store, but you can probably find it at a dollar store, big lots, etc. I usually get two for 99 cents at meritline.com. Then plug it into just about anything that has a USB port (fits the larger connector in the picture). I have cables hanging off my work laptop docking station, home Cable TV box, car cigarette lighter charger, etc. Just be sure to get the right one - they look quite similar.

If you have a proprietary (non-USB) connector, you probably just need a prong converter for the wall outlet. Verify the transformer reads 110-240 VAC or something similar to indicate it will work on 110.

The battery will probably charge, but may suffer from diminished life. Lithium Ion batteries do degrade over time, but that is mainly tied to the number of charge cycles. Only way to know is to try it and then see how long the battery lasts from a full charge.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

If you bought your phones not as part of a package deal (that is, tied to a specific provider) then I think your plan should work. I don't know about SIMs in Italy, but in Germany and in Latvia it's much better to get your SIM once you reach the country.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

The issue, as noted in the previous post, is whether your phone is SIM-locked or not. In France operators love to lock the SIM... So the risk is there. The device on the other hand should work properly. I am still using 5+years old phones with no problem when travelling.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

You only need a simple plug adapter to charge your phones. if you have a universal adapter for traveling. then you can use that. In Italy you need to show your passport to get a SIM and it can take 24hours (weekdays) to become 'live'. If you also buy a calling card (eg. Eurocard) then calls are quite cheap. The SIM comes with an Italian phone number so local calls are also cheap. Top-ups take effect instantly and no identification is required. TIM and WIND are 2 of the big providers.

5. Re: Phones purchased in France 2 years ago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:17