We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching TV overseas

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Watching TV overseas

Hi all,

Many of you probably know that there are several online sites that allow you to watch tv, though in many areas sites like Netflix and specialized channels do not offer the same programs. The alternative to this is to use a VPN which will virtually place your computer elsewhere and you'll be OK to go. I recently found unotelly.com, which has a free trial and then very affordable monthly rates. Thought I'd share it with all of you! It was very easy for me to set up, and now can watch many more shows than before.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching TV overseas

Sorry, I don't understand, why would you bother traveling overseas to sit in a hotel room and watch TV???

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching TV overseas

"Sorry, I don't understand, why would you bother traveling overseas to sit in a hotel room and watch TV???"

Because sometimes you are stuck in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, on a business trip with no personal transportation, wide awake at 3AM and are tired of watching My Sweet 16 on MTV or the continuous 15 minute loop of CNN International because it is the only English language programming available.

=================================================

This appears to be a service to simply trick Netflix etc. into thinking that you are in the US. I doubt it would be difficult for them to figure it out and eventually block UnoDNS. You can do the same thing for free with the right router on your home network, or a one-time purchase for a slingbox to watch your own satellite/cable. You are also only as good as the speed of your hotel internet, which is often painfully slow to useless for streaming.

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching TV overseas

I know people who are expats and use a slingbox connected to their cable box at home to watch content they want. Provided the Internet is robust enough slingbox is a great solution.

4. Re: Watching TV overseas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 17:17
5. Re: Watching TV overseas

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 14:05
6. Re: Watching TV overseas

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 15:05
Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watching TV overseas

Take a kindle:))))

California
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Watching TV overseas

I prefer to watch TV on the Internet

I recommend this resource http://www.choose.tv/choose

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watching TV overseas

Lots of programmes are uploaded to Youtube. It's usually possible to keep up with UK TV when travelling

Edited: 24 November 2014, 22:09
Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watching TV overseas

I agree with Tev9999 on this - Why watch tv when on holiday?