We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

OK,two questions...

First,Ive finally learned my lesson after three international trips with horrible phone bills following the trip. Tell me whats the easiest route to go about getting a travel cell phone/disposable cell phone for international travel.I will be away for 13 days in Italy,France,Spain and Mediterranean(cruise). I also have the Iphone 4S-is there a way to use an intl SIM card for lower rates without screwing the phone(or my home service)up?

Speaking of Iphone,how hard is it to change the battery if I buy an extra battery to take(will still use phone for camera,WIFI).Are any of those "power up" devices worth investing in instead?

Thanks for all help!

Stacey

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,071 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

Depends on the use that you plan. You can just use wifi and access the web and make calls with Skype. But that will not give you access 24/7. For this you need to buy a new SIM card (assuming that your phone is unlocked).

I have no idea what you mean by "power up" devices but there are a lot of option to give you extra juice between charges.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

Just to note, it's impossible to change the battery in an iPhone, your best bet would be to charge in a cafe or something, they generally don't take much more than an hour to charge.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

There are lots of emergency chargers out on the market. The cheapest are battery operated. The phone draws power from the battery.

…cnet.com/news/…57423068

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

You can get an external battery to charge your iPhone for as little as 99 cents: http://tinyurl.com/cbsm2em

I have one and it works just fine on a 3Gs, my daughter has one for her 4S.

Get your phone unlocked. Typical cost is in the 30-50 dollar range for a 4S. Then to http://www.lebara.fr and order a SIM online. Simply add "USA" after you input your state. Your SIM will arrive in a week or 10 days. There's no need to buy another phone.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 15:14
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

Note the 99 cent link above is for a COVER for a battery add on - not the battery itself. An external battery is going to run $15-$30.

AT&T will unlock for free if you can meet these conditions: www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

Sorry... not the best link. The two external batteries I have cost less than 5 dollars a piece... nowhere near 30.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 03:38
7. Re: Iphone charging and other intl mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:18