We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

I've read a few posts now about using either a prepaid and loaded phone over there but since decided to unlock my phone so I can use it when Im in the U.S as well.

Im headed to Spain, Italy and France at the start of May from Canada and Im wondering where the best bet would be to get a SIm card and which company I should use. I checked out Lebara and am wondering if it would be sufficient. I essentially just want to be able to use to phone home and/or possibly use data if I can for services like Whatsapp.

Second question is where should I get a Sim Card prior to departure...I dont think Ill have much time when Im there to do some shopping.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

You can usually get SIM cards in the airport when you arrive. It takes almost no time, or at least it never has for me in Germany.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

Thanks, Ill check into it when I land. Do you think it would be better for a local sim or something like onesimcard or Telestial All world sims?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,317 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

Lebara is a good brand for Europe. Get one there, so if there is any difficulty you have an actual store to visit for help.

4. Re: Getting a Sim Card For Overseas Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18