We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Hi - has anyone had a positive experience using the Woolworths Global Roaming SIM? I want to use it in Paris and the Netherlands (regional town/cities mainly). For Europe they only have data roaming bundles and that's fine by me, as I will use Viber (hopefully!). Can you tether your phone?

239 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Don't do it - I purchased one 6 weeks ago and STILL cannot get it to work. I have an ongoing email with them. I am not impressed and would prefer my money back.

They even sent out a replacement and I cannot get it to work. Lucky I am one of those people who plan ahead as would of been annoying to be going OS now and scramble to find an alternative.

Have decided I will do my backup plan now and SMS only from my actual number (roaming) - the $36 I spent could of gone towards this - but lesson learned woolworths after all is a food shop ;)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Thanks for that Jacks24. I have only ever done the texting while roaming and that has worked fine. Even making a couple of phone calls - it never worked out too expensive. This time though I would really like to have some data. Still have three months before my trip - will keep investigating options. Cheers!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

I have used travelsim before but not for data which was ok but more expensive for data and texts - I tend to find most hotels will have free wifi or places like Starbucks/macdonalds etc will have it for free so SMS only works for us.

Good luck investigating and have a great trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Woolworths Global SIM activation has been broken for 5 days now.

Their website says it will be fixed by Monday 13th May but as of Tuesday 14th it is still broken,

They don't even bother to update the message on their Site.

Have called them and they advise there is nothing they can do.

So here we are in Europe now with SIMs we can't use. Will have to go and look for replacements today.

We got the Woolworths global SIM as the rates were best we could find but I guess you get what you pay for. In this case, absolutely nothing!

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Whilst that is most unfortunate, it doesn't mean the product is a failure for everyone.

I'm sure there are countless others who have used it successfully, including myself. I agree, they do have the best global roaming rates, especially when using their voice & data bundles www.woolworthsglobalroaming.com.au

Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Hmmm would like to hear from someone that has been able to use it....maybe someone with more than one post :D

Personally I wouldn't ever use it again - sorry wasting my time for the last 6 weeks isn't my idea of a good product. One of my emails is already 12 replies long - they also closed my case at one stage even though it hadn't been resolved.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

I bought a Woolies Global Sim and used it Kuala Lumpur and also on Langkawi with Maxis (telco) and then went over to Phuket where I used True (telco) and it worked fine there as well. I used it for both voice and data. Their customer service sucks and their web site is clumsy but the product works well after you get through all the drama.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

Thanks Harold have to agree with you on the customer service :) glad it worked though :D

Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

So finally mine is working - if your going after September I can tell u how it went -just PM me then. I am roaming my own number as backup though

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM

I've spent untold hours researching this topic - travel sim, woollies, blah blah blah.

Most feedback suggests drawbacks of some kind with all of them.

After reading a thousand posts in destination forums, I have now decided to ge a new sim in each (3) country we are visiting - Spain, Portugal and the UK. Sure, it may take up 10 minutes of my time three times spread over 5 weeks. But, it now appears that I will save buckets of money and be guaranteed a good/reliable service for both data and voice.

I will just use wi fi for my iPad and get a sim for iPhone, mainly for calls and text and emergency data connection.

I've wasted way too much time on this research - wish I'd have listened to the first person I spoke to about it

Good luck !

Reply to: Woolworths Global Roaming SIM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted