We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage: soft or hard?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Topic
Hand luggage: soft or hard?

Hi all,

I need to buy a new hand luggage. So far I have always used a soft case, but the last got quickly ruined and I was thinking that a hard case might be more resistant.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

"Resistant" suitcases depend on quality - material and brand.

It really does not matter which one you get. I would be more concerned with choosing a 4 spinning wheel vs traditional 2 wheelers.

I can see why you would think hard cases can be more durable, but don't forget they can crack too! It's rare but it happens.

I would personally choose a good quality, lightweight suitcase. Never mind the material. There's always warranty for that. (Hopefully the warranty is still valid when it decides to break)

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

Soft is better as it has a little "give" in it for overhead bins - hard cases in overhead bins can be a pain in the backside, as they provide no give at all.

And really, it's not being handled by anyone other than yourself...

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

Samsonite is a good brand. Get soft luggage with the spinners. Look for sales. We have traveled with the 2 wheels for so long..... just got the spinners in March and they are amazing! Samsonite has good sturdy spinner wheels (ask the luggage salesman) for durability and banging your suitcase around wherever you want to go. We got them in March and have not looked back!

Hong Kong, China
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

Agreed, samsonite is great. Cheaper than Rimowa but still offers great quality luggage.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

Soft baggage is better because , as has already been mentioned , it can be pushed into spaces where a solid one won`t fit.

As hand luggage is really only handled by you and isn`t thrown about by airport staff , how long it lasts is up to you.

Some people like to buy expensive luggage with a designer label , mainly to sort of show off .

I regularly travel with a shopping carrier bag from a supermarket.

It`s the right size , weighs almost nothing , nearly indestructible and cost all of 49 pence ( about 40 cents USA )

Graham

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

I would have thought that "light" was the greatest criteria for cabin baggage. I am amazed how cabin baggage can get ruined.

7. Re: Hand luggage: soft or hard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:17