We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

Weert, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

Hi,

I've got a question. I'm leaving for a USA-trip in two weeks, and I'm realizing now that I require headphones for during the travel. Because I am not a frequent flyer, I do not desire expensive noice cancelling headphones. However, I'm still willing to pay about 100 Euros (which is about 130 dollars) (bit more, bit less) on headphones for during the flight.

I've seen that headphones with active noise-cancelling are very expensive, I, however, still desire some sort of noice-cancelling ("passive"?). Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can buy to have a nice flight?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

You can get active noise cancelling headphones under $100, but I find that passive noise-isolating earbuds work better. I am using a pair of Logitec ones these days - they also have an inline volume control and microphone (so you can use it as a phone headset). I paid about $50 for them at Costco. You could surround me with 10 screaming babies and drunk businessmen and I would not notice.

I also have a more expensive pair of Sennheiser earbuds that I abandoned because I wanted the inline volume control. They work about the same. They are both better than the Sennheiser active headphones I have.

Anything with silicone tips (find ones with multiple sizes to fit your ears) that goes in the ear canal will offer some noise reduction. You do need to deal with something in your ear instead of sitting on it, and some people have issues with that. I actually like them better because they are small enough I can rest my ear on a pillow.

There are plenty of earbuds on Amazon for under $20 - some under $10 (at least here in the US). I would buy a cheaper pair and try them out. If you like them, get a second pair in case you lose the first.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,435 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

I'm very intrigued by the Logitech earbuds you mention. I've always hated the ones that come with the iPod; they always fall out of my ear(s). Which model did you get? There are several on their Website.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

Mine are the Ultimate Ears (UE) 350.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,435 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

Thanks for the response.

Denver, Colorado
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

I've found some from Able Planet that rival Bose in many respects and are not cost-prohibitive. They offer the cans (over your ear) and the earbud noise reducing ones. I got mine at Magellan's Travel Supplies. Here's a direct link: magellans.com/in-flight-comfort/in-flight-co…

6. Re: Good (and cheap) headphones for in the airplane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:17