We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lightweight padlock for lockers

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lightweight padlock for lockers

My niece is going backpacking for 3 months. She wants a lightweight combination padlock suitable for using on lockers. Has anyone got any suggestions or pitfalls to avoid?

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lightweight padlock for lockers

Don't go "light weight." Buy Titanium. Nah, I'm kidding.

Go to your local hardware store and get a recommendation from a ""grizzled," experienced employee.

Leeds, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lightweight padlock for lockers

Hi :)

Go Travel (formally known as Design Go) have some really good options and they aren't too expensive, either :) www.go-travelproducts.com/luggage-accessories I have the 'No-key padlock' which has a fairly slim shackle, so should be suitable for lockers at hostels etc.

Another option would be a cable lock, which you can get from Lifeventure, these have a coated cable shackle and are good for locking zips on luggage, securing lockers and can even be used to attach your stuff to stationary objects to stop people stealing it.

Hope this helps!

Rachel

Essex
Level Contributor
28,815 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lightweight padlock for lockers

Cable is easy to cut through with bolt cutters though, not difficult for a determined thief..

That is how one of my best bicycles was taken.....

Use a hard metal lock, take longer to cut through.....

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lightweight padlock for lockers

Thank you all for you replies. However, for some reason I didn't receive notification of any replies until today and I bought a padlock on Saturday.

5. Re: Lightweight padlock for lockers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19