We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet in France/Italy

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Internet in France/Italy

I am traveling to Paris, Florence, Bologna, Nice and Provence in early September.

I will have a european sim card but I do not have a "smart" phone. I was hoping to not take my laptop (as most of my bookings are already made) but some tours say they may need to email me the night before the tour.

How easy is it to access internet in these places without my own laptop? Should I reconsider and take my laptop?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,526 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet in France/Italy

I would post these questions in the places you are visiting. Are you staying in hotels? Will you have access to a lobby computer?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet in France/Italy

Yes,staying in hotels.

I suppose I really need to ask the individual hotels whether they have a lobby computer. I know (from Trip advisor reviews) that despite being 4 star my hotel in Bologna doesn't, and that's the place where the day tour wants me to check my email the night before the tour.

Thanks - I was probably being lazy looking for a global reply (-:

California City...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet in France/Italy

If you do not have Smartphone then I would like to suggest you that if possible bring your laptop with you or purchased any cheaper Smartphone as if you're not supposed to use or if you will not have an access to a lobby computer. Which European sim card do you have, may i know? Let me know if you need any more help for cheap internet access on your smartphone if you are going to buy!

Edited: 13 August 2013, 12:29
Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet in France/Italy

I haven't got it yet, but my Australian travel insurance company (Cover More) is providing me with a SIM card called the "Cover More Global SIM". It's a pre paid service and they will send me an sms every time I use the phone to let me know how much credit I have left.

I'm trying to check with the other hotels I have booked (apart from Bologna) to see if I have access to a lobby computer there. I'll be staying with my cousin in Nice in the middle of the trip, so I'll obviously have access to a computer there.

Thanks for the advice - I'll certainly contact you if I do decide I need the smart phone option!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet in France/Italy

If your budget permits, I would suggest that you consider bringing along a small tablet computer, rather than a laptop. The smaller models are not that cumbersome, fit easily into a purse or knapsack, and if they are not sim-enabled, there is no chance of inadvertent data-roaming charges. As public wi-fi access is becoming more widespread, it is usually possible to access the net from public spaces or fast-food restaurants.

Gainesville VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet in France/Italy

WiFi is everywhere. We pack an Ipod Touch, which gives us internet access as well as music, documents, and alarm clock, maps, and Skype for calls home.

7. Re: Internet in France/Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18