We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One phone for the US and Sweden?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One phone for the US and Sweden?

I am going to be splitting my time between Sweden and the US. I would like to know if it is possible to by one phone, of whatever type, and just change SIM cards as I change countries so that I have local numbers in each place. I did this when I split time between here and England but I know going to North America complicates things. Any suggestions?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

Yes, it is more complicated with the US. The choice of phone will be even trickier if you absolutely must be able to use 4G or LTE data speeds. However, if you can survive with only HSPA/HSDPA service with data speeds no higher than 21 Mbit/s the set of possible phones is much larger.

The US mobile operators use different frequency bands while in Europe things are much more uniform. Your first decision is selecting the operator: AT&T or T-Mobile USA. You need to check if you can and want to use a subscription or use pay-as-you-go (PAYG, or prepaid as it is called in Europe). In the past T-Mobile USA was friendlier to prepaid subscribers, but things may have changed. The coverage should be by now good enough with either one, so this decision is likely to be driven by cost.

Once you know the US operator that you want to use, you can find out their radio frequencies …wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#Uni…

For use in Europe, you will need a 3G phone that supports additionally the 900 and 2100 MHz bands.

The more expensive phones often support a wide range of frequencies. I still love my antique Nokia N8 that is a pentaband phone and would work anywhere in the world. However, many manufacturers optimize cost by limiting the number of supported frequencies. You really need to look at the specification sheet to make sure that a particular version of a phone really has all the needed frequencies. Quite often the trade name and industrial design may be exactly the same, and only an obscure product code can be used to determine the supported frequencies.

It is definitely possible to find an unlocked phone that meets your requirements. The brand and model is up to your budget and preferences. In the high end Apple iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 1020 or Samsung Galaxy S4 all would do the job.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

Wow. Much more complicated seems an understatement. Thank you so much for all of the information. I will look at T-Mobile PAYG as I have used it in the US before. Then when I come home, I can just put my current SIM card into that phone ? Is that right?

Ibiza, Spain
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

You can visit buyreadysim.com and they have very affordable GSM phones that will work with any SIM card and in any country. Good Luck!

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

I'll check them out, thanks.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Y that I bought in Ukraine this summer. When I got back to the US I just took out the Ukrainian prepaid sim and inserted my T-Mobile prepaid US sim card. Easy.

If you can use various sim cards in your Swedish phone, you can probably use a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card in the US in the same phone.

Busan, South Korea
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

"If you can use various sim cards in your Swedish phone, you can probably use a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card in the US in the same phone.“ This is really a good deal~

Edited: 23 August 2013, 04:06
Ibiza, Spain
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

Yes, any unlocked phone will work on most networks. Usually you would have to set up the APN to get Data for the specific network SIM card you are using.

8. Re: One phone for the US and Sweden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21