We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel budget app

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel budget app

I am looking for recommendations for an app for managing my budget on the road. I want to be able to keep track of our spending, put in the big ticket items already paid for/booked etc. We have a samsung note 8 tablet. Thanks

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,764 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel budget app

Sorry I can not help. When I am on the road I am too busy having fun and seeing/doing things to do accounting. Maybe give yourself a daily budged with a 'fun' category.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,685 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel budget app

Bring an envelope and stuff every receipt in. When you get home just add it up. In the meantime, enjoy your trip.

If you insist on working during your vacation then there are many app. Just google "travel budget app".

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel budget app

I do intend to have fun, but I also want to make sure we have enough money for the whole time we are away - balanced with not scrimping when we don't need to. I have been searching as suggested, but hoped the experts on here could narrow my options and suggest some that might work better than others. As it is, I have downloaded a few and are playing around with them to see which work best. Disappointed you feel the need to make pointed comments about my request re the fun. We are going on a family adventure, and I certainly won't be spending all my time 'working'. This was my first venture off the destination forums. I think I will stick to those in future.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 21:55
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel budget app

I think you have a great idea! We are going for four weeks to Europe next year and it would really help to track our spending. Don't any ideas for you but do think it is a great idea. I am going to start looking.

Hoquiam
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel budget app

Expensify might work for you. You can scan receipts with a smartphone or do a quick input if the scan doesn't work.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel budget app

GmaRoxies - exactly! I want to make sure we don't blow the budget early on. We have lots of good things planned, and I want to make sure we can afford what we want to do all the way through. I also had the idea that I would post a detailed account of our expenses in the destination forums for the places we are going. I know that when I was planning our trip - and the budget - I found it really useful to have some specific examples as a guideline - especially from a family's perspective. I felt that this is a way I can pay back for the advice I have received from others. I also feel so disappointed when people with many, many posts feel the need to make judgements when others post a question. If they don;t have an answer, I would really rather they refrained from commenting. I ended up buying an app called 'Money Lover' from the google play store. It doesn't do all that I wanted in an app, but it seems to be serving the purpose. Thanks Judy104, will check out what you suggested also.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel budget app

My wife keeps all receipts and adds them up at the end of each day in her head, for a rough total. She then writes that number in a small notebook and keeps a running total. Total time spent about 3 minutes each evening before going to bed. It hardly needs an app.

Travel can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. Why anyone would choose to make it complicated is something I have still to figure out. Maybe the figuring out part is too complicated for me. ;-)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel budget app

The app makes it easier for me than pen and paper! You have a good point though that everyone has a system to suit.

Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel budget app

No argument intended Telly but I often wonder if people have lost the ability to do things the simple way in their head. Particularly when it comes to math. The inventor of the calculator has a lot to answer for.

The other day I was in a library and someone had made some photocopies. The price was 25 cents per page and she had 6 pages. The young girl at the desk actually went into her desk for a calculator to figure out what the total was.

From my perspective, the App cannot possibly be easier than a quick mental calculation. ie. Thirty for the museum entry, 54 for lunch is 84, 10 for water is 94, 150 for the hotel is (150+50 and 44 left) 244 and 75 for dinner is (225 leaves 19 +75 is 300 =19 is 319) 319 total for the day. Added to the 2750 already on the page is (2750 +250 leaves 69) 3069 so far. Done. In about the same time as it took me to write this.

Again, from my perspective, if someone can't do that, their problem is not finding an App, it's learning to add.

Hoquiam
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel budget app

While I can add in my head and keep track of things via paper, I have a tendency to lose paper and can't seem to keep track of pens/pencils to save my life but I have never lost my cellphone. And since I use my phone for pictures, GPS, tracking my reservations/flights via TripIt, etc., I always have my phone readily available. I love the freedom from paper using an app provides. We're all different and if paper works for you, great. But I see no reason for derogatory comments for those of us who prefer other methods.