We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

Port Crane
1 post
Save Topic
Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

Hi, I am going to South Africa for 27 months with the Peace Corps and am looking for a solar charger for between $100 and $200. The lighter the better of course and want it to be able to charge by the sun and have a decent capacity. I need to be able to charge my laptop through an AC outlet (converter?) as well as USB to charge tablet and phone. USB are easy to find but I am having trouble locating something that would also be able to charge my Dell N7110 laptop. On the brick I have now it says 100 watts.

I consider myself a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks so much for any ideas, I'm walking in circles here.

-Andrew

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

Without knowing what country you are from, it is almost impossible for anyone to suggest where you might buy such a device.

For what it is worth, I don't think you will find a solar charger that produces mains voltage AC. You might find one that produces a DC output that is the same as the one produced by the brick.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

I would reconsider taking a 17" laptop to where you have no electricity. Laptops that large suck power just to run the display.

A solar charger is not going to be able to power a laptop unless you have a huge solar cell. It is also not going to fit your budget. You may have to trickle charge it for days to be able to get a couple hours of run time out of it.

treehugger.com/solar-technology/5-best-porta…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

You could also look up at wind up battery chargers but they are only intended for small devices like mobile phones and torches not large power hungry laptops.

Are you really sure you will be located in somewhere without electricity for 2 years?

You would be much better taking a netbook or small tablet rather than a large laptop, it will be much less power hungry, easier to carry around and easier to secure.

4. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 00:05
Little San Salvador...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

treehugger.com/gadgets/7-portable-solar-lapt…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

"... I need to be able to charge my laptop through an AC outlet..."

That technology doesn't exist. You need to plan on handling your power needs differently.

Lastly, as mentioned above, where in the world will you be that has no electricity? Are you sure that's the case, or are you assuming that remote locations in Africa don't have electricity?

Cheers,

Terry

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

The DC/AC conversion technology does exist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter but as the picture in the Wikipedia article shows, the equipment is somewhat bulky even with the current levels needed by a laptop. There will also be some power losses.

You will be much better off by using gear that produces the DC voltage needed by the laptop, if such equipment is really necessary.

8. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 08:35
Hong Kong, China
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

I personally don't fancy solar charger as it's more expensive and lose the power easily. Yes, it is environmentally-friendly, but only if you're an avid travelers would it be a good idea to get one. So as a normal traveler, I still prefer battery chargers that plugged into the wall, especially a large capacity one. I've used RavPower for a while and it's been good so far. The capacity I have is a 14000mAh which allows me to charge at least 5 times for my phone. If my tab is counted together, it's still a good one you deserve to own.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Solar charger that has USB and AC output for laptop

I've lived in South Africa for 12 years. I have to say that even remote villages have electricity (220v).

If you really go into the bush for a long period you could try the solar generator and battery. Have a look at http://freesurvival.net, they have a system that tracks the sun...

You also can wait until you are there, the locals will have creative solutions and in the larger cities you can buy anything.

Alex