We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unlocking phones in Thailand

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Unlocking phones in Thailand

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been asked already.

I have an Australian prepaid Nokia Lumia 520 that is locked Telstra. I've had it for about one month.

I want to take it to south East Asia with me and use local SIM cards, but it is going to cost me $100 to get Telstra to unlock it.

Does anyone know if I can get the phone unlocked in Thailand? And whether it would be cheaper?

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Yes it has just been asked, 2 threads down from yours.

Google it and do it yourself. Do it at home before you leave. If you have a smartphone, unlocking it will likely erase everything so if your are home then reload from your backup.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Thanks Jean Pierre, my question is actually whether it was be done in Thailand though. Cheers.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

It can be done in lots of places in Thailand but it would be way less hassle to have it unlocked before you leave. It's not expensive nor is it difficult. Why would you wait?

Cheers,

Terry

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Hi Terry, it costs $100 to unlock my phone. The phone itself was $179, so $100 seems a little steep. I'll look into it when I get to Thailand then :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Read my post above again. Google it and DO IT YOURSELF.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Whoa calm down Jean Pierre. I have googled it and I don't want to do it myself. Thanks for your input, but as I said before, I want to get it done in Thailand. I am asking for advice from people who have done this before, or who know how to go about it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

Then you are asking in the wrong forum. Go to the Thailand forum and ask there. Good luck.

8. Re: Unlocking phones in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:17