We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone In The Plane

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone In The Plane

My iPhone has developed an illness. I cannot put it to sleep. The only thing I can do is change the settings and put it to sleep using a screen command. When I do that I cannot wake it up unless I plug it into a power source. I have not actually tried this, but my research suggests this will work.

For several reasons I do not want to replace the phone until I return home from our current travels. I do not want to turn the phone off on the plane because when we land in Orlando it will be very late at night and I will need to call the hotel shuttle. It will be obnoxious to find an electrical outlet, and I am not even 100% sure it will work.

Once, several years ago, I put my cell phone in my purse and forgot to turn it off. The plane did not crash. I am wondering if I dare just put the phone in airplane mode, turn off the ringer and stick it in my purse. My son-in-law, the pilot, says it will not do anything to the plane. He, however, is military not civilian.

Is this something anyone would dare to do?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

Lots of people forget their phones and accidentally leave them on during the flight, no big deal. If it was truly a major safety issue then cell phones wouldn't be allowed on an airplane at all. That said, two things...

1.) Simply turn your phone off right now (not sleep mode, completely off) then see if it turns back on. If so, problem solved.

2.) You mention that it will go into airplane mode... why not simply charge it up in the departure lounge then put it in airplane mode when you board the aircraft?

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 17 January 2014, 09:32
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,772 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

I have never ever turned mine off or sleep mode. Always just flip it over to airplane mode and that's it.

25 years of mobile phone ownership and a minimum of ten flights a year - I haven't managed to cause a crash yet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,875 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

I would not worry too much. As said above, I also forgot to turn off my phone several times and we did not crash.

I don't understand your issue about the sleep mode. When on a plane, putting it in sleep mode is not sufficient. You either turn it off or put it in airplane mode.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

I always put mine in airoplane mode - that is why there is such a function - right?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,425 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

All you need is to put it on Airplane mode. No longer necessary to turn iPhone, iPads and small electronics off, at least in the US.

Silvia

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

My husband just informed me that if I would have listened to the safety briefing on our last few flights I would have heard the FA state that Delta was proud to announce that they were the first airline that permitted use of a cell phone from take-off to landing while the phone was in airplane mode.

What I remember is the FA saying "If you are in possession of anything with an 'On and Off' button turn it off, and my husband always asks if my phone is turned off. So, I think I am good to go.

I appreciate the helpful hints about my phone's illness. I believe it is a hardware problem rather than something else. The little oblong push button on the top of the phone is what I push when I stop using my phone and put it to sleep. Doing this conserves a bit of battery, but the phone will also put itself to sleep in a few minutes. That little push button is stuck. I was able to force it a few times by pushing very hard with my fingernail, but now it does not want to respond at all.

I spent a few days researching this problem. I did try to hard re-set suggested in Post # 1. I really hoped it would be that simple, but it wasn't.

I think that the button may be jammed by debris that has clogged up the little opening. I carry my cell phone in my pocket where it picks up junk. More likely, however, is that some tiny little part of the switch is broken, as this seems to be something that happens after an iPhone reaches a certain age.

I could just go into a Verizon store and buy a new iPhoe 5, but I would then lose the contract I currently have. That contract gives me unlimited data, and it is no longer available from Verizon at any price. So I plan to go into my local Apple store in Orlando and see if I can purchase a rebuilt iPhone 4. Failing that I think I am going to try eBay. I am completely happy with the functions on my current phone, and have no need to upgrade the phone itself. I really do not use the capabilities of my phone. I make phone calls, send and receive text messages and research things online. This is really all I require.

My phone is four years old, and I did not even put the latest IOS 7 upgrade on it because my husband and daughter did do the IOS upgrade and have both been very unhappy with their phones since doing this.

If anyone has any other explanations for my phone I would love to read them, as well as any alternative suggestions I have not considered. Thanks for the assistance. I have absolutely no technical knowledge and certainly no intuitive skills when it comes to cell phones.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,875 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

@ Expat-in-Cabarete - you never had to turn them off, just in airplane mode was fine. The difference is that now, during takeoff and landing you can actually use them to listen to music, play games, etc. which was not allowed before.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

Definitely put it in airplane mode. If you don't, the cellular radio will constantly be trying to find a signal, and will go to full power in search of one. There is a good chance your battery would be dead when you land. Airplane mode turns off all radios, so it is not an issue.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

Airplane mode is sufficient for flights. As for turning it off, maybe there is lint or debris under your main power button. But isn't there another way of turning off your iPhone if necessary, say from a touch screen option.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,772 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone In The Plane

I would just pop into an apple store and they can whip your screen off and clean it and/or replace it. Most of them do a clean for free in my experience.