We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Secret

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Phone Secret

I was always using up all my data allowance quickly until I was told to turn off cellular data on my iPhone therefore forcing my phone to use wifi when available hence preserving my data allowance. When wifi was not available (I just switch cellular data back on) do what I have to do online and when finished switch it back off! I never run out of internet now because apparently, even though I thought I was not on the net I was using 1kb-2kb data every 10 minutes and even though I always have wifi on, it would STILL take it out of my data allowance from my provider! And let's face it, your not always in a wifi area. Even the genius' at Apple cannot stop it, closing all apps make no difference either. These things run in the background and quietly use up your data. It's a great way for all telcos to make secret money from us

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Secret

Honestly, this isn't a secret. If you don't have a data plan it's standard procedure to turn of data roaming when you're outside your service area and to hunt down WiFi hotspots instead. In a pinch simply turn on data roaming for one specific task.

I'm glad you discovered this though.

Cheers,

Terry

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone Secret

I have never noticed this with my Android phones. I also have an iPhone 5 but it is a work phone and I don't pay the bill, so I have no idea how much data I use. We are actually not allowed to connect them to the work wifi network since our bandwidth to the building is heavily restricted for some reason.

My first thought would be a poorly programmed misbehaving app, not a conspiracy. Look for an app that can track data usage and see if you can figure out which app is pulling data off cellular when it should not be.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone Secret

tev9999, Android phones do constant updates too. You can go into settings though and change the default so that they only update when on WiFi.

Cheers,

Terry

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone Secret

The thing is (which I don't get) I am sitting here at home with wifi on, my phone shows that I am using wifi yet when I go online to view my usage from my telco it shows that I'm using there data 1-2kb from my allowance every 10 minutes even though I'm sitting next to the router and my phone shows wifi is on??

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone Secret

debbie s,

Unfortunately sometimes you can help but get shafted.

i just got an android smart phone to use as my inineary for this years trip and will find out how "off" my cellular is on my trip.

one thing i notice is that all of the phone mfg like to loadup crap on the phones too. So no matter what things are running in the background.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone Secret

I was told by my provider that even if I am in my home, with the phone connected to wi-fi, if it goes into sleep mode, and then is "woken up" by me to play music, send a text, what have you, it will start in 4G, and then "find" the data.

Not sure I believe or understand why a phone would unlink itself from wi-fi, when it hasn't been taken out of range, (or even moved) but that is what they claim.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone Secret

This is what I am talkin about....... A total rip off from telcos???? Even the apple store could not figure it

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phone Secret

The OP's issue is not that apps are allowed to update while on cellular data. It is that SOMETHING is using cellular data while the phone is connected to wifi which should not happen.

2 kB in 10 minutes is really not much and that could probably be explained by normal network handshaking. That equates to 288 kilobytes a day, or around 8.6 megabytes a month. If you are on a 1 GB a month plan, that is less than 1% of your allowance.

Check out this article. …cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57602622-285/…

Looks like iOS 7 will show you what apps are using data, so you should be able to figure out where the data is being used. I'm finally updating my iPhone now and the previous versions of iOS don't have this functionality so I can't check. Ironically wifi is required to download an operating system update, so I never got around to it since I tend to ignore the work phone when I get home. Android also will show you how much data each app is using. Looks like I burned 10% of my monthly 5GB allowance watching one period of Olympic hockey last week.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Phone Secret

I can confirm that my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.6, Sprint) is also using cellular data while connected to wifi. Game Center seems to be the biggest offender in my limited testing, even though I have cellular data turned off for that app and am not even logged in. Exchange (my work email) also uses some.

Apparently the phone drops wifi in sleep mode because it is a battery hog. That is still not a good excuse since mine is plugged in and still using cellular data. There are many reports out there of people using a ton of cellular data when syncing kicks in while in sleep mode.

I still don't believe it is a conspiracy to charge you more money for data. Just poor programming from Apple.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phone Secret

Yes but u have to agree its a good way to make money. In OZ the avg monthly allowance is around 2gb prepaid $30 for 30 days (mine is no allowance and it costs 5c per mb on top. Data must b expensive here