We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

I'll be travelling down to North America, mainly from Chicago->wisconsin->LA->San fran and will be needing some sort of mobile data plan to stay in touch with family back home (e.g. for whatsapp, emails, instagram etc.). Is there any recommended plans or SIM card that allows me to travel around the US without having to switch SIM cards when I change states? I'm not familiar with the system and would like some advice!

I'll be in the US from 9th may-28th may, so that is about a month! I'm from Singapore, and my iPhone is not locked with any mobile carrier.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Petalsandpedals,

i dont know of any small provider in the USA but im sure there are some.

I can only say what i have in use since ive only been using e devices just recently.

Im using T-mobile at this time. I have an expensive cell phone i bought in the UK and it has a T-mobile PAYG sim. I also have a note 3 and it has a 50 USD/month plan and that includes international since im planning on going to europe this sept.

If you have wi-fi on your device you shouldnt have any issues, but there are always exceptions.

you will find wi-fi in coffee shops (not all of them) and places like libraries, mc Donalds (unknown if all of them will have it) and other public gathering places. but it will depend on where you go too.

im sure others will chime in with their fav.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Walmart is your friend. They have inexpensive GoPhones and SIMS. State lines are irrelevant--not like countries in Europe. AT&T and Verizon are the largest nationwide carriers. Tell the clerk where you are going and they can help you look at maps and decide whether one is better than the other for your trip. The difference usually matters only in out-of-the way places, but I know from traveling experience that Verizon is much better for the Northwest part of the country.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

T-Mobile has a plan for travelers.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Walmart... 45 bucks a month for unlimited talk, data and text with no contract.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

T-mobile has a $30 prepaid plan that comes with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text and unlimited LTE data (throttled to 2G after 5 GB). You can pick up the SIM from Walmart. It is what I use as my daily plan.

One downside is that T-Mobile is not strong in many parts of the country. You can roam on AT&T at no additional charge, but high speed roaming data is limited to 100 MB a month. You get throttled back to 2G after that point, so if you are trying to do data intensive stuff it may be slow.

Just google "T-mobile $30 walmart plan" for full details.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

I tried to buy a Walmart data SIM for my factory unlocked iPhone last summer and it would not work.

Can I buy a data SIM at Walmart and put it in any smartphone? Phones like mine from most countries besides the USA are not locked.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Thanks. But the question still remains. Can i put these Walmart or other data SIMs into my factory unlocked iPhone or Samsung Note 3?

The ones I tried to purchase last summer would not allow.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

Please explain what you mean by "The ones I tried to purchase last summer would not allow". A SIM is a SIM. There are different types, regular, micro and nano. You need the right size for your phone but a SIM from anyone should fit your phone.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

parisamsterdam, Walmart told me they did not have data SIMs that I could put into my unlocked iphone last year. And not because they were sold out or something, but because they did not provide that capability and that I would need to buy a phone for that capability. maybe that has changed by now. I'm going next week so I'll check it out and report back here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I get SIM card/mobile data plan throughout US?

What did you end up doing if I may ask?