We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Backpacks?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Two Backpacks?

Hey Guys,

I'm going on a 4 month trip to India and SE Asia soon and I'll be doing quite a bit of hiking, I'm taking a 38L pack as my main bag but I'm wondering about taking a second 13L pack for small day trips or taking into town etc. Does anyone have any experience with taking two packs? Did you find it helpful?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Backpacks?

Personally I never use a daypack. I get around just fine without one at home so why would I use one on holiday, I prefer to blend in as much as possible.

That said, lots of people use them to carry a camera, extra clothes, water, their guide book, etc. and that's fine too.

There's no hard and fast rule, simply do whatever works best for you.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Backpacks?

As a female, I can't imagine carrying 2 packs around unless they're like the Eagle Creek pack I have with the detachable day pack. Maybe it makes you more balanced but the pack on the front and back is awkward to me (and makes you a menace on mass transit!)

you probably need some sort of bag for the day. If I'm doing a trip without my camera bag (that doesn't look like a camera bag), I bring a small bag with a long strap that goes over my chest and fits my Canon G11 and sunglasses.

suitcaseready.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Backpacks?

Agree that carrying two backpacks is dumb. It's a sure sign of someone who doesn't know how to pack/travel and it's incredible how many people you see struggling with that set-up in places like Thailand that has lots of first time travellers.

Since Will is travelling with a very sensible carry-on size 38 litre main backpack and he mentions a very small 13 litre as the daypack I assume he's not carrying both of them full at the same time. I assume the (empty) daypack is tucked away inside his main backpack and only pulled out for day use when his main backpack is secured at the hostel/hotel.

Cheers,

Terry

4. Re: Two Backpacks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:20
Get answers to your questions