We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

Has anyone used one of these in third world countries rather than using bottled water? Did it work or did you get sick?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

No one has used one? :-(

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

You know I've seen so many people post about these sort of systems on travel forums - but very rarely see anyone using them. Useful for bank country hiking I'd say - but for normal travel - every third world country has a way of distributing drinking water - usually in bottles.

Note you don't HAVE to buy individual bottles - the locals will use large flagons or larger. In Thailand for example there is always drinking water available in jugs on the tables. The foreigners don't drink it assuming, incorrectly, it's not safe.

Now I keep a 1/2 decent bottle and sometimes refill it from a water seller on the way rather than buying bottles. And no I've never got sick from the water.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

I am actually doing a week long backcountry trek in Peru and was hoping to use it then. But I assumed many people would have used one as opposed to the wasteful plastic bottles generated by water bottle usage. For example when I was in turks and Caicos recently there was no recycling available where we were. If we had one of these I would have felt much better about my environmental impact there. Perhaps this is a new product. At any rate, I suppose I will use it and report back. Just a bit concerned about stomach issues on a one week backcountry hike without some testimonies. Of course the website has a great video and testimony, lol, it was using Africa missionary travel as an example. Compelling, but of course marketing. Thanks for your post!

Edited: 27 March 2014, 04:48
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

I have been using one for the last several months throughout Southeast Asia and have not fallen ill once. I've also used it while camping and had no issues. It's hands down the best thing I bought to make my world travels easier and more environmentally friendly. Since the purification system is good for 10,000 cycles, it more than pays for itself. The system is lightweight and comes in a nice zip pouch. It's easily chargeable using USB and holds a charge for a long time. I would highly recommend buying one; it's well worth it.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

1FourFun,

i got 2. 1 for home one for travel. I took it with me last year. No issues. Just have to keep it clean.

as far as the one time use plastic bottles you don't care for, no one says you can only use it once. before i bought my bottle, i bought bottled water and would use it several times before i tossed it. I know some people only use them that one time and toss them, but thats part of the world we live in. Its not just water bottles either. So, there is a lot of teaching/eduction that can be done.

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

This might be too late for you but the Camelbak All Clear is perfectly fine for purifying water. However there are a few points that you should know.

The UV based system basically damages the bacteria, etc so they cannot reproduce, which is what you want but you should use the water as soon as possible. After a long period, a day or more, some the bugs are able to repair the damage and become harmful again.

Also you should get a prefilter as well. Depending on the source of your water, there might be a lot of debris. This affects the effectiveness of the UV treatment and not that tasty.

Finally if you are taking water from a stream, make sure you wipe clean the outer thread of the bottle before purifying. The UV does not treat the small amount of water on the outer thread and your mouth will be in contact with this part of the bottle when you drink from it.

I always take back up for critical equipment and water tratment is no exception. Any electronic equipment can fail and chlorine tablets are cheap, light and effective.

7. Re: Camelbak All Clear Water Bottle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17