We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
257 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

I am looking for information and direction on what unlocked cell phone and data plan we should buy here in the U.S. and be able to use it in both France and Italy. I definitely want to make phone call to make reservations. I was also thinking about using it for Google Maps, however I think Maps requires a lot of data? If I go this way would I have to purchase a higher level phone to handle maps?

These are questions I am trying to find answers to.

Thanks

Lary

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,984 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

Do you have a phone now? You could get that one unlocked.

Otherwise you can check on ebay. Google maps require date (could be the hotel wifi) to download the itinerary before you start your journey. Then you turn off the data as you move around.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

> see if your phone will work overseas.

> check with your provider if they have any plans/rates for overthere.

> use ebay, craigslist, and used electronics/phone shops to look for phones.

> you can buy inexpensive phones overthere too.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

if you are bringing any kind of device with wifi you could install Skype and buy credits. you can then call any landline in the world for around 4cents a min.

I used that to book and change hotel reservations and, call family in North America that only have landlines.

if you need it to call/text others traveling with you then you need a data plan for each phone.

To access the net via wifi only; you set your phone to airplane mode so it does not try to roam.

4. Re: Looking for an unlocked phone to use in France and Italy!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:16