We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Android mobile maps

New Jersey
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with Android mobile maps

I'm posting these comments directly since others may find them more quickly this way.

On a recent trip to 3 countries in SE Asia, I wanted to load maps on my Android 4.0 mobile from WiFi (in hotels), then use them on the go without data service to help locate restaurants, public transportation terminals, or just navigation. I planned to get a SIM card in country.

So the issue, then, is what mobile app to use with what maps. If I were willing to pay for data service, then Google Maps would be the best choice, but I wanted offline use, and for the cities I would visit.

I tried several approaches (all of them interwork with the mobile's GPS):

1. The Google maps app for Android has a "use offline" feature that would be fine except that

the app responded with "unavailable for this location" for my cities.

2. There is an app called OSM: Open Source Maps Automated Navigation Directions (OSMAnd). I found OSM to be a bit complicated to join and use. Eventually, I installed the app,

but the map of Bangkok was not very useful -- not detailed enough and not enough English.

3. I preloaded a Google map over WiFi and just left it in the Google Maps app cache.

This was almost useful, but one could never be sure the right neighborhoods had been loaded to the necessary level of detail.

4. The City Maps 2Go app supplied some 220 or so excellent city maps. It also used GPS.

Actually worked well for most larger cities in SE Asia, and one can download Wikitravel supporting information. CM2Go can also download additional info from WikiTravel.

5. Tripadvisor City Guides will provide maps and information for a more limited number of cities,

but its map of Bangkok was not as good as CM2Go, and restaurant locations often had inaccurate coordinates.

My experiences -- hope some find it useful.

NotAccidental

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with Android mobile maps

Great info.

Cheers,

Terry

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with Android mobile maps

NotAccidental,

thank you for the feedback and summary.

I just got an android for my travels later this year and will be trying a couple map apps too. But one thing, i will be looking for is a good paper map once i get into town.

i have the Google maps and Google Maps Engine too. Im going to try the MapsWithMe app and see whats up with it.

what ive been doing is to use "my places" to make my maps, but the only issue is that its not available off line. So it will be interesting to see what happens and hence the paper map bu.

Moscow, Russia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with Android mobile maps

Try free Travel Notes app on Google Play. Hope you enjoy it.

Saltash, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with Android mobile maps

I know this is an old post but it might be worth people knowing about Nokia Here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details… I haven't used it very much yet but I needed Bali maps and I too couldn't download google mapps for offline use where as I was able to with "Here"

5. Re: Experience with Android mobile maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions