We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

We´ll make a road trip from Seatte, to OREGON and CALIFORNIA. We´ll take an Iphone 5s. We want to have conection more than the wifi in the accomodations. Specially in the route to help with bookings and services.

Which company whould we buy? Can we buy it in Miami during our flight conection time?

Thank you!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

I think that Verizon probably has the best coverage. Verizon is available throughout the US, but I have no idea if you can purchase it at the airport.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

T-Mobile is probably your best bet. They offer a $30/month prepaid plan that includes 100 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited text. You can pick up a SIM at Walmart and register online or via the phone. You can also get the SIM online, but I'm not sure about shipping to your home country. You can fund it with prepaid cards you can pick up just about anywhere, or a credit card. Google for "T-Mobile Walmart Plan" for everything you need to know about setting it up.

AT&T is the other major GSM carrier in the US. Their coverage is usually better than T-Mobile's, but T-Mobile is pretty strong along the west coast. You can also roam on AT&T free of charge if you are out of a T-Mobile area, but they will limit high speed data at times.

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers, and I am guessing you have the GSM International version of the iPhone and not the CDMA US version. It might work with these carriers on the newer LTE network (which does require a SIM), but will not work on the older 2G and 3G networks. Since you will be spending time in rural areas that have not been upgraded, it would be better to stick with a GSM carrier.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

Thanks for such a complete information. Here in Uruguay we have LTE technology, but in some areas it works 3G. It is very important for me to know all what you tell me. As I am buying an IPAD AIR in an Apple store in Miami Lincoln Rd Mall during our flight connection I think they are going to give me the last word according with my Iphone device but I previously know about coverage and prepaid plans like that TMOBILE at Walmart.

Thank you very much!!!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

How much time do you have in Miami? It looks like there is a T-Mobile store two blocks off of the Lincoln road mall.

T-Mobile South Beach

1507 Washington Ave

Miami Beach, FL 33139

They may charge you the $10 instead of the $0.99 online price, but it would probably not be worth the hassle over $9. I do not believe the store can sell you the $30 plant as it was being marketed exclusively through Walmart and online, but that is not important. Pick up a $30 prepaid card too if you don't want to bill to a credit card.

Once you have the SIM activation kit in hand, you can set it up online wherever you can get a wifi signal. Go here: prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-activate. Once you get to the screen where you pick a plan, it will not say "Walmart", so just make sure you get the $30 plan that offers 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (highspeed up to 5GB, then throttled to 2G). It only takes a minute to set up.

There is a free app to monitor your usage, plus T-Mobile will send you text messages if you get close to your minutes or data cap.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

Thank you very much, TEV!!!

I was surfing in the T-Mobile web and in the google maps about the Miami Southbeach store. I understood about the nanochip cost and after haow to activate and charge it. Great!!!

It was very important because I have to take the Iphone numbers that there are in the phone (and in the box) but I prefer have them selected and copied. At those times it is more difficult to find them (at least for me).

Thank you again!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

Be sure to verify that your phone is unlocked if you have not done so already. If not, it will not accept a SIM from another company.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

Yes, it is unlocked. But I am going to check everything some days before departing.

Thank you!

8. Re: Northwest telephone cimpanies coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:17