We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Again SIM cards in Europe

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Again SIM cards in Europe

I am having the same problems as others - Hesitant about the SIM card use in Europe - Here is the background then if someone could PLEASE answer my questions:

History - We purchased a cheap unlocked Motorola smart phone is Canada - hoping to be able to use it in Europe with the purchase of a SIM Card. We will arrive in Holland and then go to Belguim, France, Italy, Austria, CR, Germany, Denmark and UK. We will need the phone for calls locally to hotels and tours, as well as the odd maps when we are not near wifi.

1. Again I have researched - looked at forums etc and still am confused... WHAT IS MY BEST POSSIBLE SIM card purchase....?

2. Can I get one card that covers all these places ?

Thanks

Sandra

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

Sandra S,

first off, check the specifications on your Motorola phone. for use outside of teh USA, you will need something thats says "quad band".

if you dont have the manual/information for it, remove the back & battery and there should be a sticker with a model number on in somewhere in the guts. you can then use that to google the model specifications.

im guessing you bought it years ago and not recently.

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

The phone is brand new. Smart phone. Still looking for a good SIM card to purchase.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

I can't advise you as to the best, but I've used Lebara in Holland and Blauworld in Germany, without problems. I read but do not know how accurate it is that after July 1, 2014, there will be no roaming charges for EU SIM cards used in the EU.

When you get a SIM card, be sure and ask for the seller to activate it. It's easy for the seller, but harder for the buyer, since activation requires access to a computer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
860 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

Last year (and two years before that) I researched till my eyes bled looking for a sim to cover multiple European countries.

Ultimately short of using your own SIM card and "roaming" at deadly charges as far as I know, and by my own experience it is best, and almost necessary to get a new sim in each country. The only caveat to that would be one of those world roaming travel sim type of cards that seem to be hit and miss.

We landed in France....got a SIM card for France for about 10 euro. Went to Spain.....French sim didn't work.....got a sim for Spain. Went to Portugal...guess what? Same story even though they were all with the same supplier (Lebara I think from memory?)

Over to the UK and start again. Previous trip to Italy, Croatia, Greece and Turkey same story. Although the turkey sim did work in Indonesia? Go figure.

Basically, to ensure you have reliable and consistent coverage, you will need to spend 5-10 minutes and probably 10euro in each country. It sounds like a pain in the neck to do it, but in the end it's all worth it for the confidence and security that a local sim offers.

Now........someone may be able to update if the free roaming thing has been introduced since last August.

Good luck.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

Sandra S,

if youre still up a creek.

1. check with your local provider and see what they can offer you in terms of international plans and such. It maybe less hassel to do it that way.

Yes you can get one SIM to cover all of the places. the kicker is that you will have to pay for "roaming" once outside of that country. If what is said about no roaming for EU after 01-july-2014 is true, then you wont have to worry about it unless you travel to a country OUTSIDE of the EU.

2. If #1 doesnt work, then look at some of the "world SIMS" to buy/use and check the rates against #1 if you jot them down.

3. Buy a SIM from your first stop if you need to. If you check out carphonewarehouse.com (http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims) and look at their rates for non roaming vs roaming and then compare what from your previous info. you will have to dig for the info since they have changed the format.

Re: Maps. there are several OFFLINE map apps out there. IT will depend on how you want to use the maps too.

what you can also do is nothing until your first stop. head to the nearest phone provider shop and ask for the best plan to do what you want to do and go from there.

Whatever you do VERIFY you can add minutes outside of that country. Dont take their word for it either, do it as soon as you can even if you have to add 20 bucks to it. Try to do it with just your smartphone and VERIFY if you can.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 15:05
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

It's not as big a problem as you thing because no one SIM can give you the best deal in all the countries you plan to visit. ;^(

But the good news is that roaming charges in the EU are capped at 45 euro cents a minute.

Find a Lebara seller convenient for you in Amsterdam... here's a link to their store finder page: http://www.lebara.nl/storefinder Use "1016 Amsterdam" as location to start the search in central Amsterdam.

Stop in and have them install a SIM and set things up for you. Pay the 45 cents when you visit other countries or pick up a new SIM each time you cross a border.

7. Re: Again SIM cards in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17