We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Hot Spot for Ireland?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
588 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Hot Spot for Ireland?

Hertz offers a rental of the above with the car rental. We've never taken one of these in our past travels ... can you please help me understand why we should get one. I'm not very tech savvy, partly because I use my black berry device due to work even on vacation (which I don't pay for). Thanks.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Hot Spot for Ireland?

It basically gives you a mobile WIFI hot spot wherever you are by connecting your wifi devices (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.) to the cellular data network. International data roaming rates are usually crazy expensive, so by utilizing a device connected to a local provider you can save money. Of course the offerings from rental car companies for add on devices like this (or GPS) are rarely a good value.

If you can do everything you need to do with your BlackBerry, you really don't need one. It is a good idea to make sure that your company has enabled international roaming with it - and is OK with you using it internationally on vacation. Data roaming can be crazy expensive - like $10/megabyte. Uploading one picture to Facebook could cost $40.

My company provides me with a company iPhone, but does ask that I be careful when roaming internationally and don't go crazy with data. They also have no problem with me using it as my exclusive personal phone, but I prefer to keep my own cell phone. For my UK vacation this fall I will take the work phone and check it every day or two for urgent issues. I will buy a local SIM when I hit London for my personal phone so I can use it for my personal needs, mapping, web surfing, etc. and a much better rate than my US carrier would charge me to roam. For <$50 for a UK SIM, it is better than having to explain when I get back why I ran up $500 in roaming on vacation.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Hot Spot for Ireland?

We were throughout Ireland and Scotland last August and virtually every town pub/restaurant and coffee shop offers free wifi. Every tour bus we took had free wifi on board also. It was awesome

3. Re: Mobile Hot Spot for Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16